My 120g in-wall build

percula

Hi all! Since there seems to be so many helpful folks around here, I thought I'd post my way through my build in hopes that I can tap in to some of the knowledge out there. I had several FO tanks many years ago (pre-family) and have finally got to the point where I can get back to it. This whole process may take a while as I'm required, as part of the deal (there should be a thread somewhere about how to manage your significant other while dumping time and money in to this hobby), to complete a total bathroom rebuild at the same time (this after gutting/rebuilding the basement in the first place-- glutton for punishment). Anyhow, here's the current state,....

inside_no%20hole.jpg

Jeez; cutting it kind of close with the framing but it just does fit. I ran a dedicated 20amp circuit and have finished up two branches. My plan is to have four, each on a switch and GFCI- lighting, circulation, sump, and to-be-named-when-I-figure-out-what-I'm-forgetting.

support.jpg

Not the greatest pic but hopefully you can get an idea of the support construction. I feel like I under-built (you should see my dyi swing-set attached to an old electrical pole; my house will blow over before that thing comes down) but an architect friend seemed to indicate it was fine. Apparently a short upright 2x4" can hold an immense amount of weight.

electrical.jpg

This pic was shot to illustrate the branches of the circuit but what is really of note is the hvac ductwork. While it's sealed the entire length I wondered if anyone has had an issue with this sort of thing adding too much heat in the depths of winter (as depthy as it gets in nova)?

water_supply.jpg

Not much in this pic except that I wanted to pat myself on the back for running the water supply all the way there (you can see the little handle silhouette). It was a crazy affair. Unfortunately, the drain is to the right of the doorway cutout; no help for that, just need longer tubing. I suppose I'll leave the wall to the left of the column (and tank) open to help air flow throughout. I've thought of adding some big fans to draw air into the shop but I'll wait to see if that's really necessary.

sump_with_LR.jpg

Some excellent LR courtesy of Tony (tgallo) sitting in the soon to be sump (my old 55g). Notice the cheato some very nice person put on the free table at the meeting-- THANKS! For the record, the 55g el-cheapo plastic bin that I used to get the 100lbs. of rock and good bit of water from Tony ended up with a leak. Maybe the dragging it out of my car, around the house, and in to the basement did it :eek: . Score one for the floor water alarm!

hole_in_wall.jpg

Opened the hole; used drywall endcaps to try to minimize the hole itself and keep the focus on the tank. The tank face should nearly flush with the back of the dry-wall; with the hole itself coming in a few inches all the way around (to hide the tank frame and water returns at the top).

inside_looking_out.jpg

Ok, so I uh, have now proved I can cut a hole in the wall.

room_view.jpg

Context pic; how it fits the room. See the sheet half covering the unfinished doorway? That would be the aforementioned bathroom -- the bane of my existence. Anyhow, I will hopefully keep updating as I progress. Let's hope things start looking better from here on out...

Any comments/suggestions/reprimands/greetings are well received. My wife just can't seem to understand my excitement at buying a big pile of rocks so others' enthusiasm here will help keep me moving forward :) .

Cheers :cheers:,

Matt

Matt,

I was in the same boat. I built my 120 in the wall with a fish room behind it. In order to do that, we agreed on adding a big walk in closet next to it. The process took a couple of months but it is finished and aside from some minor things it looks good.