Nano skimmer for biocube 14g

Gurnie

Can anyone recommend a nano skimmer for a 14 gallon biocube? Is it necessary to get a skimmer if you are preforming 15-20% WC every week?

Edited by Gurnie

I think you can get one made by a company called Sapphire.

Mostly though, I've heard that those teeny tiny skimmers aren't worth much. I use filter floss that I change weekly to pull organics out, and regular water changes.

Tracy

Can anyone recommend a nano skimmer for a 14 gallon biocube? Is it necessary to get a skimmer if you are preforming 15-20% WC every week?

I've been running my BC29 without a skimmer - you can get by without it. Algae is a constant struggle in such a small tank since the chemical levels tend to have bigger swings by percentage. I used a Sapphire Aquatics built for the BC29 for a little while and didn't like it. There are several nanoskimmers on the market, you'll just have to look for one that will fit. Take a look around http://www.nano-reef.com there is lots of good nano info on there. Also http://www.nanotuners.com is a good resource. I'm looking at trying out the Deltec MCE300 http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/mce300.php but I'm not sure I can justify the price.

As long as your bio load isn't that high I don't think you'd have a problem as long as your are keeping up with your water changes.

Right now I have two saddleback clown fish, 5 burgundy hermits, 3 blue hermits, lots of microstars, bristle worms, a few snails, one conch and a cowrie.

Aprox. 16 lbs of live rock, I run with the carbon filter and bioballs, but currently the carbon filter isn't in the tank b/c I am treating the tanks for a cyno outbreak. Tank is new, its only been up for a month (but belonged to another gentleman, so i was able to keep some of the beneficial bacteria).

I have one kenya tree and one red mushroom coral.

I might add two barnacle blennies later. Those two fish would be it.

I had a fission skimmer but i was told it was total crap and took it out of the tank

Edited by Gurnie

I had a fission skimmer but i was told it was total crap and took it out of the tank

Depends on your goal, I use them for nano aeration instead of skimming(because they don't skim). Especially since they are so cheap these days ;>)

Then really bad, stupid follow-up. I don't have a bubbler in my tank (never was advised, which I was surprised coming from freshwater). The system does push water around for the rocks, and the water does fall over bio balls which i assume re oxygenate the water that hits the bioballs... but do i need to add a bubbler? Maybe i need to add a wave maker or another jet? Any recommendations?

Edited by Gurnie

Then really bad, stupid follow-up. I don't have a bubbler in my tank (never was advised, which I was surprised coming from freshwater). The system does push water around for the rocks, and the water does fall over bio balls which i assume re oxygenate the water that hits the bioballs... but do i need to add a bubbler? Maybe i need to add a wave maker or another jet? Any recommendations?

You're fine

Any recommendations?

Monitor your pH at the peak, just before lights shut down, and the valley, just before lights cut on....if the pH drops below your target value, see if running the cheapo skimmer aerator overnight solves the problem ;>)

I would phase those bioballs out. Remove a couple at a time with each water change, and eventually replace with live rock rubble. You have corals in there which will not take well to the eventual nitrates the bioballs will start releasing.

I don't have a biocube, but a 12g aquapod. I made two of the rear chambers into refugiums with LR rubble and chaeto. You can cut some of the plastic backing off (on the aquapod, the back is just stick-on vinyl of some sort. Not sure if it is the same with the biocube or not), and hang a light on the back of the tank, keeping it on a reverse light cycle. This helps with CO2 consumption and keeps pH stable.

Tracy

Bioballs them selves are inert, they don't release anything. They do provide nitrifying surface area, break up flow, etc, but they are easier to clean then live rock.

If you are doing water changes, efficient nitrification is not the enemy, it is your friend.

In my experience, live rock in the sump, filter, etc., creates more of a problem then a solution due to traping detritus.

In my experience, live rock in the sump, filter, etc., creates more of a problem then a solution due to traping detritus.

So do bioballs. That's what they are designed to do and they do so quite well! I'd ditch the bioballs and rely on good flow coupled with a quality skimmer to export organics before they have a chance to break down into nitrates. JMHO

So do bioballs. That's what they are designed to do and they do so quite well!

And they are easy to clean :>) Just a tool, choose the right one for the job. Bio balls are not meant for every application, neither is a skimmer.

So do bioballs. That's what they are designed to do and they do so quite well! I'd ditch the bioballs and rely on good flow coupled with a quality skimmer to export organics before they have a chance to break down into nitrates. JMHO

I see what Scott is saying re: the bioballs. I know *they* don't release anything, but they collect stuff that causes the eventual release of nitrates back into the water. About cleaning them...would you have to do that on a cycle of some sort? I'd imagine cleaning them all at once would also wash away the denitrifying good stuff too.

The aquapod didn't come with bioballs, but the ceramic ring media instead. I don't use them either.

Since the nano skimmers that will fit in the back of a nano are fairly useless for organics' removal, I have a stack of purigen, seagel, and filter floss (from bottom to top) in the intake chamber. Water has to make it through the three of those before hitting the two fuge sections: first one chaeto only, second one has a little bit of LR and more chaeto.

The filter floss I change out weekly, and the other two I replace/recharge as necessary (6 to 8 weeks). Oh, and water changes!!

And they are easy to clean :>)

Maybe easy to clean, but not easy to access in a biocube. I have a 29g biocube and it was a real pain in the A$$ to get the bio-balls out. I loaded it with live rock rubble and have no problems. I've also done a lot of reading on the subject and popular opinion is that the rock rubble works better (remember I said popular opinion, not fact). In my opinion, the skimmers that are small enough to fit in the bio-cube or aquapod chambers are just not effective. If you need to, add an Aqua-C on the back. I can't speak to the Aqua-C Nano but I know the remora is a great hang on skimmer.

The filter floss I change out weekly, and the other two I replace/recharge as necessary (6 to 8 weeks). Oh, and water changes!!

If you cut the filter floss change down to daily/every other day and stay with the water changes you are way ahead of what any organic removal a nano range skimmer can provide.

fwiw: I prefer the Tunze nano's for such duty, but even they are hampered by small reaction chambers, etc. Thankfully in Tunzes don't dump in a bunch of heat which IME is a far bigger challenge in nano land.

Hey traveller,

I've been trying to PM you. If you don't mind cleaning out your inbox, i'd like to Pm you about something

anyways

right now i have bioballs falling in the back, so i assume some air gets circulated into the water b/c of the bioball / water hitting bioball exchange.

I am bidding on a Aqua C Nano Remora Skimmer. Hopefully this will fit in the biocube (14g)

I'll put the cheapo skimmer back in until i get the new skimmer... which will hopefully fit the tank.

strange how the LFS didn't tell me that a skimmer wasn't really necessary if i was doing weekly W.C. (or the fact that they never mentioned anything for oxygen exchange). Right now i have my jet pointing towards the surface since i am treating for a cyno outbreak.