Setting Up a Octopus NW-150

sheac12

Hi again,

After some good answers and clarification on the sand/substrate question I have a new question/problem. How do I setup this Octopus NW-150? Is there somewhere I can get a manual/users guide for it? Does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks

I have this skimmer and love it - what's up? There really isn't a lot going on with it but tuning it can be tricky if you haven't done the gate valve mod.

Here is a link to the Euro-Reef skimmer, and it is strikingly similar to the NW150.

http://euro-reef.com/ER%20Manual/New%20Man...206-19-2007.pdf

jp

That is how I had it set up, but it appears the pump is shot and that is why it isnt working. Stupid pump....

where in columbia are you located? I work at pet smart on snowden river, if you bring it by I can take a look at it for you i work most days 2-10.

where in columbia are you located? I work at pet smart on snowden river, if you bring it by I can take a look at it for you i work most days 2-10.

Let me know, or if you stop by ask for Jason in Aquatics

I might stop by tomorrow if you are in. I have class tonight. I think I figured out what is wrong with the pump, the "needle" paddle is broken and keeps slipping and stopping, but I need a second opinion.

That could actually be good news - as long as the pump is operational.

You'll want to pry that first wheel off and do the mesh mod anyways.

Replacement impellers and needlewheels are available online.

I figured out what was wrong, the impeller shaft, well actually the little rod that everything turns on, was cracked and broke last night. The other problem was the impeller was broken and kept slipping. I think i just might purchase a new pump and impeller for 59.99 directly from the manufacturer, that way I have a warranty on everything. They want 21.99 just for the impeller assembly, so I don't see a good reason just to get the impeller and have to worry about misalignment in the pump.

Suggestions?

anybody that has carbon fiber rod left over from maximods can slice you a piece and that will work just fine.

strange that you mentioned this - when I was meshmodding my Octo I noticed that the pink ceramic rod was slightly curved, and I replaced mine with CF rod. I wonder if that's a common occurance with this pump.

I don't know if it is, but I wouldn't be surprised! The LFS thought it was odd that the shaft didn't break earlier with all the messing around with the pump. I decided, since I was replacing the pump, to do the gate valve mod. I just purchased all the pvc, but now I am waiting for the gate valve to show up from NY. I am building it just like the Octopus photos. I am thinking about doing a thread on how to do it for much cheaper then Octopus wanted for their kit, but there are so many threads out there I dont know if it is worth it.

Edited by sheac12