damselfish

zotzer

I never had any intention of adding a damselfish to my reef tank, after having read how rotten they are. Then again, you can read a negative opinion on just about any fish. The latest that I've seen people complaining about over on RC is the Mystery Wrasse. Who knew? This fish was on my "peaceful and beautiful" list. LOL

Anyway, back to my question, I saw an Ocellate (aka Princess) damsel at MS, and it was gorgeous. It was a large fish (at first I thought it was some sort of angelfish), and when I asked one of the women in the shop, she said it was not a mean fish.

I really wanted to add an angelfish to the tank, but I'm not really jazzed about the more common, more reef-safe specimens (ie: flame or coral beauty).

Would I rue the day I added a damsel fish (ocellate, in particular) to my beloved tank? (it would be one of the last additions, FWIW)

Tracy

According to Liveaquaria.com they are aggressive as adults, so not sure of how they are. According to fishbase.fishinfo.cn they eat filamentous algae(!!!!). So, not sure of this particular species since I've never encountered one, but I have always enjoyed keeping damsels in my tanks and have never had problems with their aggressiveness because I have always mixed several pairs that fought each other rather than the other fish in the tank. I currently have a 3 stripe in a 50 frag tray with a few tangs and clowns and he's the wimpiest one in there, we'll see what happens when I get the 300 up and running about how he does.

The pictures I saw of the ocellate, by the way, are great, what a pretty fish!

The pictures I saw of the ocellate, by the way, are great, what a pretty fish!

Thanks for the input, Dave! The one I saw in person was actually even prettier than any picture I've been able to find on the 'net. And wow....if it's an algae-eater on top of it, what a bonus! :)

Tracy

i think yellow tails are less aggressive than others, but either way, supposedly damsels get meaner as they get older.

I had an ocellate. It would bug the H-E-double hocky sticks out of a new fish for about a half a day. After that, it was a pretty peaceful fish.

Thanks for chiming in! Since I would only add it late in the process, sounds like it could be a nice addition!

Tracy

Mine died in a pH crash shortly after I moved to VA. It was very sad.

I lived in College Station, TX. The only store that sells saltwater fish there is Petco. I was in there one day when I was first starting saltwater. The ocellate was my first or second fish. He looked ok in the store. The Petco guy said he was a neat fish, so I got him. He cost $3.99. I got home and my fiancee and I were starting to regret our decision. The fish was completely gray and boring. Over the next couple days he got his color back. Over the next month he got more and more colorful. At the time of his death, he was probably my 3rd favorite fish (I am partial to my maroon clowns...it does not matter how cool a fish...they can never be better to me than my maroon clowns). So...frankly...he was behind maroon clown #1 and maroon clown #2 for me. He was an awesome fish. My fiancee liked him the most. He was active, interesting, and colorful. His color seemed to change and get more vibrant as the months went on.

If you don't mind having a damsel, I would get him. For me, this fish got along great with my maroon clowns. The only fish he really ever picked on was my scooter blenny. He would not leave the blenny alone for about 6 hours. It was the hardest 6 hours to watch. I thought for sure he was going to pick the scooter apart. After that, the ocellate never looked at the scooter again.

I understand all fish are different. My ocellate meant something to me. I was very saddened by his death. I hope this helps you. Then again, I might run over to MS to check it out for myself... ;)

Then again, I might run over to MS to check it out for myself... ;)

I wouldn't blame you. It's a gorgeous fish!!! Seeing as I just added an angel, and am going out of town next weekend, any new fish will have to wait until I get home. The petsitters already have three dogs and the new "reef tank" to worry about. They don't need to worry about a QT tank in addition to all that! LOL

The girl at Marine Scene acted like it was not an unusual occurence for them to get them in. Although, you will pay about ten times more than you did for your original. :)

If you DO get it...take lots of pics!!!

Tracy

the meanie damsel i have always got along with the clowns, so that may just be the type of fish

I asked them about it after it died, and they said it wouldn't be a problem to order it.

Nice to have met you tonight, Tex! Keep us posted with how your new little tomato clown does. That big girl was a beauty, but if the one you already has is already a girl, it for sure would have lost a battle with the monster clown! LOL

And no worries, Forrest....no damsel fish for me! It wasn't meant to be. I realized that she was just too close in size and shape (and in an odd way, even markings) to the Potter's Angel. Actually, I think it may have even been a bit bigger than the angel. Plus, there was a guy there with a FOWLR tank who wanted to buy it, so he won the coin toss (only kidding...sorta) :)

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

It was kind of funny. The clowns haven't quite paired up yet. The big one picked on the little one for the first day. Now the small one trails the big one at a distance. Hopefully soon they will pair up.

damsels are a lottery, 80% chance it is agressive, 20% is not.... I had a Yellow Tail Blue Damsel for 5 years, and he kept his territory clean but never went after or fought any of the other inmates in a 55G tank. I guess I was lucky with the 20%

for some reason I'm thinking I saw this on Dr F& S Live Aquaria that yellow tail damsels can be kept in small groups. Maybe it was some other vendor site, but I think it was that one.

it is my understandin, after reading about damsels, that the yellow tail blue damsel is the least agressive of all damsels, and when introduce into a well established tank with lots and lots of rock formation, agressiveness is minimize. my 2 cents