True unions

FishWife

Hi, all:

1. Where can we buy true unions to use on closed loops (1/2" PVC)? How about true unions with ball valves?

2. In designing closed loops (we're thinking of four; two each teed off of two pumps) we want to incoporate a UV sterilizer into one of the four lines. (If we have an 80 gallon display, we think we want a total of 200 gal/hr turnover in each loop, so we plan to use two 400 gph pumps for these loops.) Sterilizers are a mystery to us in terms of knowing what to favor in features. (Remember, we are low budget, so please don't suggest ultimates!) Can anyone link us to a specific UV sterilizer they like AND tell us how to incorporate it into our closed loop system, flow wise?

TIA!

I like CurrentUSA .

That looks just great; and I found one on a 30% off sale! :bb:

Now... true unions, or should we just use threaded joins at key places? Our real desire here is to be able to disassemble our closed loops in later days when pumps fail or things get clogged over time. Maybe, therefore, unions aren't the answer so much as threaded PVC joins at key places, using teflon tape? Am I right that they can then be unscrewed later? Teflon tape isn't permanent, like cement, right? (Yes, I'm a newbie!)

Edited by FishWife

You can find them at home depot or lowes thats where we got mexicanjavafish's. Also I reccomend going way bigger than .5" at least 3/4 to 1" would be better.

Also teflon is not permanent. I'd use true union ball valves right at the pumps and threaded pvc else where.

You can check out this thread for an example of just what you can find at home depot and lowes

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15962