Limpet??

lanman

I was looking over my Acropora Tenuis because it hasn't had really good polyp extension lately (and it is normally super-fuzzy). Could that be caused by switching to kalk - pH is significantly higher, and ALK somewhat higher since I switched??

e7d6e8c8.jpg

Anyhow - I noticed it had some white 'bumps' on it. So I decided to pick them off with a tweezers. One of them was this:

e7d6e8d4.jpg

Is there any such thing as an 'acropora limpet'?? Are they harmful?

bob

Does it have a hard shell surface or soft?

Wild looking little buggar!

Does it have a hard shell surface or soft?

Wild looking little buggar!

All of the white spots are hard - calceolareous? Most chip into little pieces when I attack them, but that one was what appears to be a tiny limpet. The object in that photo is maybe 1/32" across.

bob

Almost looks like a barnacle. Do they move?

That's the only one that actually looks like an animal. Or the others just shattered when I picked them off. And I never saw it move.

bob

I would give the coral a dip and see what shakes off... those barnacles are usually slow growing... I'm wondering if something else is attacking the coral.

Dave

it's amazing, I have the exact same thing on a frag of neon green tenuis and was wondering what it was. I was confused at first, because it appeared to be 'built in' to the coral and even had the same color.