SLR are too Pricey

kingfish

I need some advice. I want to purchase a camera to take photos of the aquarium. I don't want to go above $300. I want a Cannon or Nikon or at least tthese are the camera I was told to go with. At this time, I can't see myself spending alot of money on a Digital SRL. I won't utilize a SRL enough to justify the cost.

There is enought info in the follwoing threads to make a decision... Thanks in advance.

Edited by kingfish

I don't know that you'll find a good quality digital SLR for that price new, but you might find a great one used. Try B&H Photo, they usually have a lot of used stuff, but it goes very quickly when it's something good. I use a Nikon D80 with a non-stock lens and it takes some wonderful pictures, much better than when I was using a Nikon Coolpix 8700 (MUCH better).

I have 2 35mm Camera SETS for sale, both at or under that price.

Both are my dad's but I have them at my house:

Craigslist

For Sale in great shape USED:

Qty 1 Minolta Maxxum 400Si 35mm Camera, Specs:

European Name Minolta Dynax 500si, Image Size 35mm, Focus Type autofocus w/ manual option, Metering matrix, Shutter Speeds 1/2000 to 30s, Lens TAMARAN 28-200mm with Filter. MSRP $444.00

200mm Lens included. All working fine.

$240 obo!

the Other is Pentax with a bunch of lens, I have to check into the price of some the lens, a told me this week that some of those could go for $2000 each!! :eek:

But if not, will be selling that one too for around $350

LMK?

Lens size and quality are the #1 consideration. If you're going digital, the quality of the CCD (think digital version of film) is next. For tank shots, you'll definitely want to consider a tripod - you'll need a longer exposure time to avoid using the flash. This, unfortunately, will lead to blurring of things that are moving. The amount of blurring will depend on how fast the object is moving and how long your exposure is. You can reduce the expore time somewhat by increasing the sensitivity (ISO setting) but this increases the "graininess" of the picture. The other way to decrease your exposure time is to increase the physical size of the lens - this is what the digital SLR does for you, besides allowing you to swap out lenses to find the one that works perfectly for a given situation. If you need more information, feel free to PM me. All of that being said, here are the cameras I would consider with your given constraints:

$288 @ J&R.com ->

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/ca...p;tag=pdtl-list

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/ko...p;tag=pdtl-list

Look for a full-body camera with a large surface-area lens. Sony's Carl Zeiss lenses are really good if you an find a deal on one of their larger cameras.

Here is what a pro ken rockwell has to say about what camera to by - written early august before Nikon released it's full frame and the newest cannons.

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm

Just Want Great Photos Cheap?

The Canon A550 is the best buy in photography for 2007. It sells for about $135!

If you're serious enough to be researching it here (www.kenrockwell.com), you probably want an SLR camera. Not that you necessarily need an SLR's interchangeable lenses, but the reason an SLR camera is superior to a compact (fixed-lens) camera is because it works instantly and gives images devoid of noise (grain) in normal use. An SLR can track moving subjects like kids, while compacts can't.

(edited)

Here is what a pro ken rockwell has to say about what camera to by - written early august before Nikon released it's full frame and the newest cannons.

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm

thanks again. I'm still researching. I have been doing some research and the prices vary tremendously. I see D80 going from $499 to over $ 1000 for just the body. For example

http://www.expocameras.com/prodetails.asp?...0&display=3

Is this a rip off or something. Something is a little phishy here! I was looking at the D40 but I was told that I would be limited to only digital lense. As far as a cannon SLR I was told the lens are more expensive. I will eventually go in the store after i have a clue what SLR body I want to look at. Right now based on what I was told and what I look at, I am look at starting with a D80 and a 60mm lense. Of course this will be a couple of months from now but I'm researching. Chime in...chime in...

Edited by kingfish

If you go DSLR, make sure you get a USA warranty one. If it's that cheap, either rip off or refurbished or grey market. I got a D70s reconditioned for $525 from adorama. They called to verify I ordered camera from internet and verified I was proper credit card holder and shipping addy.

I had good service. I got the MACK camera warranty for 2 or 3 years as well for like $30 bucks. The D70 can still run all the old Auto focus lens where D40 can only use DX lens. I'm over 3,000 pics and no problems with camera.

I got to adorama, then click on digital cameras and lens, then digital camera, select brand you want and you get list of what they have, new or refurb by Nikon USA.

http://www.adorama.com

I would only buy from either

1) local store (ritz, wolf, or penn

2) online at ritz, adorama, b&h or amazon - if amazon sells and NOT one of their 3rd party companies unless listed here. Other places = you get what you pay for = grey market or crap. At least that is my opinion.