Halp!

VicSkimmr

Something is decimating my zoanthid population and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. At first I thought it was sundial snails, but I think the majority of the snails I've been removing are collonista :(

Pics:

From this:

DSCN4996.jpg

To this in about 2 months time:

DSCN5095.jpg

Thats the worst case of it, but all of my zoanthids have been suffering the same fate. Its really depressing to watch them wither away like this.

The only fish that I have that may be a culprit is a Cherub Angel, but I watch him like a hawk and have never seen him nip at anything but my gorgonian when it sheds its slime coating (ALL my fish have this behavior though).

Edit: Heres some more "after" shots that show the different types of damage done.

These are all spaced out and most of the "mat" between the polyps has disappeared.

DSCN5158.jpg

Same with these:

DSCN5056.jpg

The polyps constantly look like something has eaten part of the skirt. They also have trouble closing after this happens.

Edited by VicSkimmr

geez dude - that's terrible. I hope those aren't expensive designer zoos.

Can you do a frag\dip\QT in some fresh SW to monitor two different environments?

Have you tested your water? I have seen this happen under stressful water conditions expecially nitrates. Their skirts start to melt away.

(edited)

I can test it, but I would imagine my SPS and gorgonian would be the first to show signs of poor water quality?

My gut is telling me that something is munching on them, but I could be wrong.

Edited by VicSkimmr

Only testing your water can tell

Have you added any new coral lately? It could be a chemical attack from a new coral. I find that SPS can inhibit zoas sometimes.

I had the same issue with my zoas. I thought it was water quality, but everything checked out fine. I sat and watched the tank for a few hours one night and finally figured it out... my Bi-Color angel was nipping at them. I stepped up feeding but it was too late, he had a taste for the zoas. So I took him out and since all my zoas have recovered beautifully. He was also nipping at my LPS. Even though I still love angels I'll never have another in my tank.

I consider Zoa's to be the 'white pines' of the saltwater trade. They grow fast, but then they just up and die when they feel like it. Some I have great luck with - others just seem to fade away. I get the impression they are all different as to liking for light and flow. And if they like the conditions offered, they thrive. If they don't, they fade. In many cases I can make a zoa happy by just moving it from frag to display or from display to frag tank. I'd love a cogent explanation of this phenomena.

bob