Fish Suggestions for a 40

Charlie97L

well, i'm almost done setting up the 40 breeder I got from jwildman... just waiting on the overflows.

i'm starting to look at what fish to put in it... does anyone have any suggestions?

i'm looking for the following qualities...

-hardy

-not inclined to jump, as i'm going to be running open top

-preferably captive bred

i'm looking at a pair of GSMs, but I'm not sure if they are captive bred, or some other clown type. the setup is a 40 breeder with a 20H frag, 30 long sump, Deltec AP 600, and fuge.

This is going to be an LPS/softie tank, with possibly 1 or 2 pieces of easy sps.

i've also thought about going fishless, and just having shrimp and other critters in there, but i think that would just be not as exciting in a way.

thanks

charlie

clowns would be an easy hardy addition as well several species of goby.

a lot of gobies are jumpers in my experience... but i'll look into them more. i'm living with my mother for a while, and her one requirement on the reef tank was that she wouldn't "have fish flopping on the floor". :)

i'm looking also at orange line cardinals. anyone had any experience with these?

(edited)

bangaiis? a few blue reef chromis?

I find both underated.

i agree doug. thanks for the suggestions! sometimes we forget about the "basic" fish. can bangaiis be kept in groups? i thought they had aggression issues.

Edited by Charlie97L

Do you REALLY want the GSM?

-sorry, I know they are beautiful, but too much attitude for me, especially for a 40g tank?

Suggestion:

Yellow Clown Goby - Flashy and alot of personality

Tailspotted Blenny - Oct, will do a GB for another to restock my tank

Court Jester Goby (Randfordi) - too me, a MUST for EVERY TANK! Sand cleaning abilities are second to none!

Tang or two: Yellow, Black, Yellow Eye Kole, MAYBE a Powder Blue/Brown, etc

2-3 Green Chromis or Blue Eye Cardinals

Do you REALLY want the GSM?

-sorry, I know they are beautiful, but too much attitude for me, especially for a 40g tank?

Suggestion:

Yellow Clown Goby - Flashy and alot of personality

Tailspotted Blenny - Oct, will do a GB for another to restock my tank

Court Jester Goby (Randfordi) - too me, a MUST for EVERY TANK! Sand cleaning abilities are second to none!

Tang or two: Yellow, Black, Yellow Eye Kole, MAYBE a Powder Blue/Brown, etc

2-3 Green Chromis or Blue Eye Cardinals

howard... i think a 40 is just too small for a tang, honestly... maybe i can snag another kole.

also, don't the randfordi need a certain size sandbed, or they'll end up eating everything in the sand, won't they? kind of like a dragonet? i'm not sure.

thanks!

i don't really want the GSM, they're just too cool.

The Randfordi will suck on sand continuously all day and of course grab an easy copepod when available. Being the tank is just getting setup, I would feed them occasionally live brine.

IMO, A Tang or two will be ok for a 40g tank! Powders was probably a bad suggestion, at least 75g or more them. I like the Yellow Eye Kole, mine did a good job in my 30g Frag tank before he bit the dust!

The Randfordi will suck on sand continuously all day and of course grab an easy copepod when available. Being the tank is just getting setup, I would feed them occasionally live brine.

IMO, A Tang or two will be ok for a 40g tank! Powders was probably a bad suggestion, at least 75g or more them. I like the Yellow Eye Kole, mine did a good job in my 30g Frag tank before he bit the dust!

ok, thanks howard, i appreciate the advice. thanks!

charlie

Re: tang.... everyone says at least 75 even for the smallest. I REALLY want a tang, but haven't gotten one because people saying it. Do you think it depends on tank dimensions (which would make sense I think)?

(edited)

Re: tang.... everyone says at least 75 even for the smallest. I REALLY want a tang, but haven't gotten one because people saying it. Do you think it depends on tank dimensions (which would make sense I think)?

it does. hawaiian koles are among the smallest and most docile tangs out there. i had one in my 58, but i don't think i'm going to be putting one in a 40... they will outgrow that... just not enough room. Howard is very experienced, but I'm not confident in my ability to keep one happy in a tank that small. I also was already planning my upgrade to a 90 at that point, and saw a good specimen come through, so i grabbed it. not this time, because i have no idea when i'll be upgrading back up now, so no tang for me.

i wouldn't recommend. i'm probably going to do a trio of chromis and/or a trio of cardinals... i'm going to have a lot of water in the system, and way overskimming, so i feel i'll be able to handle the bioload just fine. we'll see. maybe a goby or two, though, honestly, i always worry about them in bigger tanks, as it is hard to give them the attention they deserve with more aggressive feeders.

Edited by Charlie97L

I had a very healthy and plump yellow tang for a couple years in my 45 until several years ago when amylodinium struck (for the LAST time!). It's only 36" x 12" surface area though, so I still will wait until I have a different tank.

A tank then needs to be at least what area, and what kind of tang could go in it?

I'd avoid the tang in that tank as well, very small for it's long term care.

If you want the clowns, go for them! Sounds like it would be ideal if you kept just a single pair in there (you could also ask James Nguyen - jnguyen - if he's getting rid of the breeding pair of perculas he got from Jacob - Caribbean Jake). Or, go the peaceful no jumping route and get a couple of sea horses in there.

I didn't know when I had it that it couldn't be in a tank that size, as I think is usually the case when you find that someone with a smallish tank has those kinds of fish. I wouldn't put another one in there.

Ok i don't see any dwarf angels repersented on here. Flame angel, CBA? Bi-color blenny easily one of my favorite algea eaters. Depending on the sand bed and the amount of care you want to provide, jaw fish, or a goby/shrimp combo

the angels may pick at corals