Sump DIY photos

I'm working on a sump for a tank and It's going to run an external pump. Everything was going great until I remembered that it's essential to keep the water level in skimmer area constant... I want to see what kind of baffels of other devices you all use to acomplish this. Thanks

Jason :bluefish:

If you use an external skimmer it should make the building of the sump much easier because then you dont have to worry about the level in the sump as much

Just put the skimmer in a bucket in the tank and have the water drain into there. That will maintain your water level at all times. It may also create some bubbles when the water comes back in, but you could always drill the bucket away from the pump feed and put in a baffle (or you could build a baffle box like I had on my old 58).

BaffleBox001.jpg

BaffleBox002.jpg

BaffleBox003.jpg

BaffleBox004.jpg

can any one else help me out here?

Jason, all you have to do is make sure the the first baffle (assuming skimmer is in first compartment) is at the same height of any other baffles (except the unders). My pump is in the last compartment, that is where the water height will change due to evaporation (assuming my ATO fails).

Holy crap dave... I can't even begin to imagine what you've got there. Well ok so I can. I don't know about installing that many baffels directly into a sump though being scared that watervolume would overwhelm them. and dan is that your own creation there?

The pump will be run external from the sump but the skimmer won't I'll post a pic see what you guys think? I was going to T off the drain line have a slow drain into the fuge area, and the rest drain into the skimmer area, problem being is that I don't think I can install a baffel system after the skimmer before the bulb head for the external pump. How far do baffels need to be spaced to be an effective bubble trap? is there another way to trap bubbles..?

Holy crap dave... I can't even begin to imagine what you've got there. Well ok so I can. I don't know about installing that many baffels directly into a sump though being scared that watervolume would overwhelm them. and dan is that your own creation there?

The pump will be run external from the sump but the skimmer won't I'll post a pic see what you guys think? I was going to T off the drain line have a slow drain into the fuge area, and the rest drain into the skimmer area, problem being is that I don't think I can install a baffel system after the skimmer before the bulb head for the external pump. How far do baffels need to be spaced to be an effective bubble trap? is there another way to trap bubbles..?

Look on Melev's site, specifically this page: http://www.melevsreef.com/make_a_sump.html

I know he has also used another method of a small compartment with rock rubble to stop bubbles.

Ok I see this design or lay out rather

What is the best layout?

There are a number of ways to configure the compartments, including some comments:

Skimmer

If this is for the 75 I would say if you have the time and Dan would have you over, I have seen a setup he put together under a stand that size. It looked to be a very efficient use of space with all the equipment you would ever need. Jeff(NAGA) also makes sumps to specs. I bought mine from him. Although mine is for a larger system I know he has built for smaller setups as well. I am very happy with the sump he built me.

Ok I see this design or lay out rather

What is the best layout?

There are a number of ways to configure the compartments, including some comments:

Skimmer

If this is for the 75 I would say if you have the time and Dan would have you over, I have seen a setup he put together under a stand that size. It looked to be a very efficient use of space with all the equipment you would ever need. Jeff(NAGA) also makes sumps to specs. I bought mine from him. Although mine is for a larger system I know he has built for smaller setups as well. I am very happy with the sump he built me.

I've seen dan's set up, it's AWEsome. It's been a while. The sump is already a unit all that is needed it to install the dividers, the budget for the tank won't allow for custom componets from scratch. As a matter a fact it's going to be a test of just how far one can go on a small buget, used equipment, awsome reef clubs, and a big imagination.

The skimmer doesn't create extra flow, it just creates microbubbles. Have you decided on the return pump you are going to use? And the size sump?

If I were you I'd do the same sump design as me, I would have the external on the rightside. So yes, you need a baffle before the pump, otherwise you'll be sucking up sand and things from the refuge.

The external is going to run off of one end of the sump and the pump is yet to be determined. No one on here had an external to offer so I think it's going to be a *shudder* quiet one... if it goes badly petsmart has a helluva easy retun policy. I know I need a baffel to seperate the external from the fuge... but should I use a bubble trap baffel or just a single baffel... i think just a single baffel. The sump I belive is about 30 gal... as soon as I can grab a camera I'll take a shot of it.

This is just one persons opinion but I think the best bet, if you are planning on putting this sump under the tank is to do so with out a refugium. Especially if this is for the 75 you are helping setup. I just think it becomes to much trouble to deal with, with everything else under a stand. I love refugiums just to watch what grows in them, having said that as a first tank the less extras the easier it will be to enjoy the tank. many tanks thrive without refugiums and I just think it is one more thing for someone new to the hobby to have to worry about.

Jason-

All the research I've done on them seems to have the best design as:

Skimmer------------->Return<---------------Fuge

The overflow is split into 2 sending most of the water to the skimmer compartment and 5-10% of the flow to the fuge. This way the skimmer operates more efficiently because it is getting raw tank water........same with the fuge.

A fuge is very beneficial to the tank and is basically maintenance free.....all you have to do is prune the chaeto every month or do. Every tank I've had has had a fuge in that configuration and I have never had a problem with maintaining it.

Jason-

All the research I've done on them seems to have the best design as:

Skimmer------------->Return<---------------Fuge

The overflow is split into 2 sending most of the water to the skimmer compartment and 5-10% of the flow to the fuge. This way the skimmer operates more efficiently because it is getting raw tank water........same with the fuge.

A fuge is very beneficial to the tank and is basically maintenance free.....all you have to do is prune the chaeto every month or do. Every tank I've had has had a fuge in that configuration and I have never had a problem with maintaining it.

This is impossible as the return pump is being run externally from one end of the sump.

I agree a fuge can be very beneficial but I have seen many people who would be better off without them. I have bought many tanks where the cheato has gotten into everything in the sump and many people just dont spend the extra time taking care of it. Especially people new to the hobby.

I think they can be very helpfull but I dont think they should be top on the priority list. Frequent water changes right from the begining is a much easier way to maintain a really nice tank in my opinion.

I have been learning some of my lessons the hard way and as I said everyone will have different opinions. Steves tank looks beautifull so their is no question what he does works. I am not saying this to knock his experience or opinion, and I am not saying my opinion is right. It is just my opinion.