Fish Suggestions for 55 AGA

Guest han012

Guest han012

i currently have 2 osellaris, a bta, janitor crew, yellow polyps & hammerhead coral

i need suggestions for 2 more fish to put into my tank. most of the ones i want requires 75+ gallons so i'm looking for a non-aggressive fish that can handle a 55 gallon tank.

i'll probably get a blemmy in about a month or so but i need more suggestions.

Thanks guys.

i currently have 2 osellaris, a bta, janitor crew, yellow polyps & hammerhead coral

i need suggestions for 2 more fish to put into my tank. most of the ones i want requires 75+ gallons so i'm looking for a non-aggressive fish that can handle a 55 gallon tank.

i'll probably get a blemmy in about a month or so but i need more suggestions.

Thanks guys.

you could do a pygmy angel, like a flame or coral beauty... also cardinalfish can be cool, gobies, blennies, and fairy wrasses... but fairy wrasses are notorious jumpers, so if you get those make sure you get a lid... anything else from the damsel family are ok.

clownfish are pretty aggressive, so they should be able to hold their own with no issues with any of these fish.

My suggestions will be pretty boring, but all of these are hardy, relatively non-aggressive, and suitable for a 55:

royal gramma

sixline or eightline wrasse

clown goby

blue, green or purple chromis

yellow watchman goby (if adding one of these be sure to do so before the blenny, IME)

talbots damsel

firefish

tomini or yellow tang (many will differ here, just my opinion)

Guest han012

you could do a pygmy angel, like a flame or coral beauty... also cardinalfish can be cool, gobies, blennies, and fairy wrasses... but fairy wrasses are notorious jumpers, so if you get those make sure you get a lid... anything else from the damsel family are ok.

clownfish are pretty aggressive, so they should be able to hold their own with no issues with any of these fish.

aren't most of those fishes that you mentioned, aside from the gobies & blennies, considered semi-aggressive fish?

actually...what exactly does semi-aggressive mean? if i can get one, it opens up a whole lot of possibilities for me. i guess if my clownfish get threatened, i can always run back to it's anemone. i just don't want to stress out my clownfish because they're my pride & joy.

i really want a flame beauty but i don't want it to mess w/ any corals that i get down the line....

My suggestions will be pretty boring, but all of these are hardy, relatively non-aggressive, and suitable for a 55:

royal gramma

sixline or eightline wrasse

clown goby

blue, green or purple chromis

yellow watchman goby (if adding one of these be sure to do so before the blenny, IME)

talbots damsel

firefish

tomini or yellow tang (many will differ here, just my opinion)

watchman goby sounds like it would be fun to add especially if it bonds w/ a pistol shrimp. i also want a yellow tang but i don't want it to get stressed out because my tank's too small for it

man the more research i do, the more i get confused

(edited)

aren't most of those fishes that you mentioned, aside from the gobies & blennies, considered semi-aggressive fish?

they are, but clowns are semi-aggressive as well, in fact, certain species, once they hit muturity, can be among the nastiest tempered fish in home aquaria.

semi-aggressive is really an individual thing... i've seen pygmy angels that were very docile, and ones that terrorized an entire tank. it can happen with any fish. baiscally, add the least aggressive fish first. so if you want a watchman and a flame angel, for example, put the watchman in first and let it get settled.

clowns, in my experience, are kind of the exception, because they generally like a bit of their own space, and they're usually able to carve it out.

Edited by Charlie97L

Guest han012

they are, but clowns are semi-aggressive as well, in fact, certain species, once they hit muturity, can be among the nastiest tempered fish in home aquaria.

semi-aggressive is really an individual thing... i've seen pygmy angels that were very docile, and ones that terrorized an entire tank. it can happen with any fish. baiscally, add the least aggressive fish first. so if you want a watchman and a flame angel, for example, put the watchman in first and let it get settled.

clowns, in my experience, are kind of the exception, because they generally like a bit of their own space, and they're usually able to carve it out.

wow this opens up a whole lot of oppurtunities for me. i'll probably go w/ a angel fish @ first than go from there. the flame angel does look stunning

Of all the fish I listed in my post above, the only ones that I ever had any serious issues with were the gobies and blennies. Specifically, I had a bi-color who would not tolerate the addition of a watchman goby. Later on, I had one that would not tolerate acropora millepora.

I agree with everything Scott said about it being an individuality thing, and the importance of adding fish in the right order.

Don't worry about your clownfish. I have never seen anyone mess with the ones in my tank. Lovable as they are, they are "Nemo and Marlina" are the only fish I own which have ever actually bit me. And yes, I let my kids name the fish. :)

wow this opens up a whole lot of oppurtunities for me. i'll probably go w/ a angel fish @ first than go from there. the flame angel does look stunning

I think maybe you got this backwards. The angel will be on the more aggressive/territorial side. Add this one last.

Someone yesterday posted about some online store that just came back open. I looked at that sight and it had mimic tangs/mimic surgeonfish (lemonpeel & chocolate), which I had never heard of. According to that online store, mimics can be kept in 50 gallons and don't get as large. The rest of the tangs shown were rated at typical volumns, which makes me inclined to trust the 50 for these smaller animals.

Depending on the opinions of other people here about the size requirement, the mimics might be something to consider.

The lemonpeel looks to me more like an angel than a tang, as the bodies are not triangular. It could be an alternative to both the angel which is not reef safe, and the yellow tang which requires at least 100gal.

Anyway, anyone have an opinion on these mimic tangs?

Someone yesterday posted about some online store that just came back open. I looked at that sight and it had mimic tangs/mimic surgeonfish (lemonpeel & chocolate), which I had never heard of. According to that online store, mimics can be kept in 50 gallons and don't get as large. The rest of the tangs shown were rated at typical volumns, which makes me inclined to trust the 50 for these smaller animals.

Depending on the opinions of other people here about the size requirement, the mimics might be something to consider.

The lemonpeel looks to me more like an angel than a tang, as the bodies are not triangular. It could be an alternative to both the angel which is not reef safe, and the yellow tang which requires at least 100gal.

Anyway, anyone have an opinion on these mimic tangs?

lemonpeels aren't usually reef safe either... and very delicate.

i'm not sure about the mimic tang.

Guest han012

thank you everyone for your suggestions. you've given me alot to think about. once i get my "lineup" i'll update

lemonpeels aren't usually reef safe either... and very delicate.

i'm not sure about the mimic tang.

lemonpeel angels are not reefsafe and all, but the lemonpeel mimic tangs are described as reef-safe and not hard to take care of

According to that online store

Rarely a reliable source, IME. A lot of times the size recommendations they give pertain only to the animal at the size it is sold, rather than the size it will attain. Other times they are just plain wrong. They are trying to sell you something, after all.

Better sources: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acanthurTngs.htm and http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4742

Plug the latin name into google you'll usually find the best info.

more here: http://www.uog.edu/marinelab/fish/species_....pyroferus.html

According to these sources, it reaches a max size of 10 inches and is a slow grower. Fenner says they can be kept as "juveniles" for years. It's adult coloration is more brown, giving it the common name "chocolate tang."

Notwithstanding its relatively small size, I would be cautious putting this one in a 55G, only because tangs of the acanthurus genus tend to require a little more open swimming room than some of the others like Yellows, Koles and Tominis.

IME lemon peel tangs will get large -there a part of the acantherus family and that family includes biggies like the hippo and powder blue. I'd go with a tomini tang if you really want one. id also get a christmas wrasse or a royal flasher wrasse if you get sand and def make sure to cover the top up.... i wouldnt mess with any damsels besides clowns and even then you have to be careful of maroons and GSM's ill add more after dinner :biggrin:

Exactly why I wanted to hear opinions from other people. It's not as easy to get info on mimic tangs as it seems for other kinds of tangs. I love tangs more than any other fish I think (clowns are second). Why can't we just get a shrinking machine so I can have a nice sunny yellow tang, or a nice hippo?

Rarely a reliable source, IME. A lot of times the size recommendations they give pertain only to the animal at the size it is sold, rather than the size it will attain. Other times they are just plain wrong. They are trying to sell you something, after all.

Better sources: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acanthurTngs.htm and http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4742

Plug the latin name into google you'll usually find the best info.

more here: http://www.uog.edu/marinelab/fish/species_....pyroferus.html

According to these sources, it reaches a max size of 10 inches and is a slow grower. Fenner says they can be kept as "juveniles" for years. It's adult coloration is more brown, giving it the common name "chocolate tang."

Notwithstanding its relatively small size, I would be cautious putting this one in a 55G, only because tangs of the acanthurus genus tend to require a little more open swimming room than some of the others like Yellows, Koles and Tominis.

this is what I don't understand.... people will say a minimum of a size tank for a particular kind of fish, but then a person will have that size tank with a couple or more fish with that same requirement. I see pictures of tanks with lots of fish, and most assuredly there isn't 100 gal per each fish that needs a 100 gal tank.

what I want is a green fish - i can't find one

Guest han012

i'm afraid the tang's going to get sick because the tank is too small for it

i'm down to a dwarf angel fish & i need 1 more.....

Edited by han012

i had a yellow tang for a very long time in my 55 way back in the day and it did fine, just get it small and let it grow up , worst case scenario it gets too big sell it and get another.

i had a yellow tang for a very long time in my 55 way back in the day and it did fine, just get it small and let it grow up , worst case scenario it gets too big sell it and get another.

I've considered that many times with tangs, but am more on the side of thinking it's not a good idea, at least not for me.