Oxygen-depleted 'dead zone' growing in Gulf

I wish this issue (water pollution) got as much coverage and attention as the global warming one.

I know this isn't exactly a peer-reviewed scientific study, but anectotally I know that in my tank I would rather have a 1 degree rise in temperature than have a bunch of fertilizer (nitrogen and phosphorous) and pesticides dumped into my top-off water on a regular basis.

There are big dead zones in the Bay as well.

http://www.cbf.org/site/DocServer/DeadZone....pdf?docID=5583

This year's dead zone isn't so big because we haven't had much rain to wash nutrients into the bay. Other years, large areas of the bottom are anoxic.

Some of this year's nutrients will never make it to the bay (sewage plants won't overflow), but others will arrive some other year (washed out of the soil from farms and lawns.)

There are big dead zones in the Bay as well.

http://www.cbf.org/site/DocServer/DeadZone....pdf?docID=5583

This year's dead zone isn't so big because we haven't had much rain to wash nutrients into the bay. Other years, large areas of the bottom are anoxic.

Some of this year's nutrients will never make it to the bay (sewage plants won't overflow), but others will arrive some other year (washed out of the soil from farms and lawns.)

coming from an civil engineering background in recent years state mandated codes for rainwater run off have increase dramatically to preserve natural resources. Virginia especially has the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act that speaks to Arts point. I like your point as well Rascal