Great Meeting

Aquariareview

As a new member I want to thank everyone for making me feel welcome. I am so glad that I was invited to a Meeting. I have never lived in an area that had a resource like this. The ability to meet and discuss with others is a very rich asset.

I have had to go to the web and to boards for years to talk with other tank owners and to have a local group like this, almost makes it worth moving here ( I hate the cold weather ).

I am very involved in the mud refuge type of system. and would like to talk with others who have done this type of system or who are thinking of trying it. After doing it for years I am very sold on it.

I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can.

Nathan Gaub

Aquariareview.com

Hey Nathan and welcome to the club. Are you referring to the product "Miracle Mud" or just refugiums in general with a "mud" substrate?

I have used "Miracle Mud" by Eco System. I have used the new Kent Bio-sediment. I have made my own mix.

I have been doing this type of system for about 8 years. I am very sold. You can build a system that is rock solid and very forgiving.

I have done systems with and without skimmers, with very high and very slow flow rates thru the refuge. At its worst I have had better luck than with any other type of system.

I have come up with a setup that works well for me. 0 levels of bad stuff, very strong coral growth, and huge critter population. When I feed the tank, I dump in a lot of food, The Macro-algae takes care of the waste. I use de-clorinated Tap water and the Macro takes care of the phosphates and metals( you put iron on the lawn dont you) I have a little algae growth that springs up on the back glass once and a while. Then it dies for lack of nutrition.

I harvest Macro algae and throw it away  or feed some of it to my tang (it grows so fast if I could eat it I would not have to buy food).

I know that this is not the only way to have a good system. Some people like to spend their time doing a lot of work on their system that I dont have to do.

As you can tell I am very sold on this type of system. I am like an evangelist who has found the truth and wants to convert the world. If you want to try this kind of system I can help you with sources and information.