Meeting and lighting talk

dgasmd

This was my third meeting and by far the best of all. The talk was very to the point and simple to follow. It did answer a huge question for me about reflectors. I took a couple of pictures and will try to post them later today when I get a chance.

By the way, my warmest pad on the back to the officers for organizing such a kick *ss meeting.

Alberto

I agree!  Thanks to Sanjay and the officers.  This was a great success.

I Icannot WAIT until we get a new ISP.  We have a great community, we need a great ISP host.  Thanks to Tom (PEZ) and company for dealing with this board.

Guys-

Thanks for the kind words.  It is nice to know the efforts are appreciated.  Each meeting seems to go a little smoother for us- part of the growing pains.  Feedback, both good and bad helps.

Michael

Well I dont know about Alberto, But for the Money. I think Ima go with PFO parallel reflectors, I have had them on order before but ended up not needing reflectors.

Alberto you might agree, as I cant recall the exact numbers, But I think the spiderlight was on the low end of the scale. Which is the highly prized and praised reflector.

Make any corrections needed,

Mike

I did not notice a real difference between the reflectors.  Any difference that warrants exchanging or buying new reflector.  

One thing that I did notice, for a minute I considered changing was bulb orientation with spider reflectors.  According to the data, bulbs mounted perpendicular to the tank with spider reflectors had a football shaped light spread.  Which means most of the light is delivered front to back of display.  If mounted parallel to the display, light will be delivered more left to right.

The difference seems trivial.  Too much work for a few more photons.

In summary,  if your using spider reflectors mount the bulbs parallel to the display.  The diamond reflector gave a nice even spread.

I spoke with Sanjay for a few moments after his talk and he too recommends the parallel PFOs. I forget the name of the last reflector he tested (the large diamond shaped one that Sanjay uses on the Penn State tank), but those he stated he was happy with also, but are expensive and HUGE.

What I also found interesting was his lack of actinic supplementation, using only 10ks at Penn State and 6500s at home. The Penn State tank shots looked incredible though.

What was surprising to me was the difference in light distribution with all of the halide setups. It really makes you think about coral placement. Anyway you look at it, it was a great meeting. I'm also looking forward to helping out with the National Zoo.

johnc,

You mind expanding on what you said?

What was surprising to me was the difference in light distribution with all of the halide setups. It really makes you think about coral placement.

Thanks

David

This is what one person on RC has said a while ago. I had to go and find it. Whew...

Did Sanjay mention anything about the "synthetic sun reflector" this person is taking about?

White paint total reflectivity 88% to 90% The bad is that it suscepible to corrosion and turns yellow over time.

Pollished aluminum total reflectivity 81% to 86% depending on grade. Works ok and has a good chance to hold up over time.

Silver film total reflectivity 85% to 92% depending on grade. The bad is it's susceptible to U.V can develop waviness, blisters, and yellowing.

Synthetic Sun reflector total reflectivity 96% It's clearly the front surfaced mirror you were looking for. It's made via a multi-layer vacum deposited mirror coating over purity anodized aluminum. I'ts cleanable and very durable. Also it mantains the highest degree of image clarity and reflectivity. I've only seen them through chamoin lighting. I hope that helps.

Thanks

David

David et al:

What I did learn as far as reflectors is that they are very inefficient as I thought. From looking not only at the spread, but at the intensity of the spread it is pretty pathetic what we get out of the bulb and to the water. Remember, all of those mesasurements were at the surface of the water and not deeper inside the water where the corals are.

The best distribution and intensity were given by the Diamond LumenArc III reflectors. They are big (12x12x8) and the cheappest place I found them was for $82/each (reflector + mogul socket specially retrofitted) direct from Diamond, but they are worth it I think. For example, I was debating adding 2 more 400 watt halides to my set up (20K bulb, PFO reflector, and e-ballast would have cost me $600+). Instead I could add the reflectors to my current set up and double the spread and almost the intensity as well of the ones I already have not to mention I don't have to use more electricity. :D  I am seriously considering them and may be ordering them soon.

If any of you would like to order them together and save on some shipping, let me know.

Alberto

Man Alberto,

More money? When is this going to end? This hobby is for the rich folks.....

When are you planning to order it, Alberto? I would love to try one but gonna have to save some money for that.

Tony, if the lights were changed to parallel to the tank, for those of us who have actinic light, wouldn't it block some of it?

And also everyone, what do you think about what johnc mentioned about of lack of actinic lights in Sanja's tank?

David

Alberto,

The diamond reflectors are not going to buy you additional coverage.  According to the data, at 12" the diamond gave a 2'x2' spread much like the other reflectors.  However, the intensity was  evenly spaced throughout the spread.

Chiledoh,

Synthentic Sun if very similar to the Diamond reflector.  The Diamond and SS reflectors are used on large displays and raised canopies.  

Tony, if the lights were changed to parallel to the tank, for those of us who have actinic light, wouldn't it block some of it?

It depends on how your lights are mounted.  In general, yes, the VHO bulb would block some light.  But I dont think it would be enough to matter.

Personally, I dont think 10K's need supplements.  Some people are using Actinics on Radiums.  Personal choices.

Alberto & others:

The Diamond Lumenarc III, the one on the PSU tank is 19.5 x 19.5 x 8.  

Diamond also makes a compact Lumenarc 3; I'm trying to get dimensions - this is probably the one alberto got a price of $82 that is 12 x 12 [i got quoted $75 see my post in member section]

Johnc,  Sanjay runs 10k bulbs on both psu and his own tank. (10k ushio x 400w)

The Diamond gives 12 reflective points of light and had the best reflective spread of light at the surface.

My plan, if the dimension of the compact lumenarc is 12 x 12 is to get some and send Sanjay one to test, if he wants to test one that is.

More money: well yes but if you get better light spread then you can run less lights and balance cost out over time.  

I don't think Sanjay tested the synthetic sun reflector; probably did not have it at time of testing.

Craig

Well The PFO is good as you dont loose to much intensity within the space between bulbs. As I know I Have in the past tried to position bulbs so that the triangle shaped lighting pattern ,when viewing front of tank, somewhat covers the darkened gap left in the top center of tank. Mainly under the brace. Although the spider light gave a football shape you still have a lot of empty space that doesnt get as much light as you would with the parallel PFO. As it was almost rectangular shaped following length of tank.

The Diamond reflector was the best, and it had the highest intensity at the farther points even though other reflectors matched its pattern. But, unless everyone goes without a canopy it would be a very tight fit. For those with hanging pendents then you have no problem. This can also be helped, hopefully, by the smaller diamond lumenarc.

I was trying to remember the combo he had that was in the 5900 par range at the one point?

Mike