I'm getting some fish...

lanman

In a deal struck with someone at work who is taking down his FOWLR to move - I am acquiring:

2 - green chromis

1 - Royal Gramma

1 - Coral Beauty Angel

1 - Percula clownfish

1 - sixline wrasse

1 - cleaner shrimp

snails, hermits

I still haven't got the 3-stripe damsel out of the nano, or I'd put the clown and Gramma there; so in the meantime, they will probably end up in the frag tank, along with the sixline wrasse (I already have one in my 58). Any chance the Gramma and the clownfish could handle the 3" 3-stripe damselfish? So far, every time he has acted aggressively (toward crabs and snails and stuff) - he is very 'passive aggressive'; he just keeps backing up into them like he's saying "give me room... give me room... you're crowding me, boy!"

Care and feeding for the chromis, gramma, angel, and clownfish?? (I already know what makes a sixline happy - and he's going to be ecstatic in that frag tank - there are pods in there so big he will need to wrestle them into submission.)

The angel should be fine with my two Anthias in the 58-gallon tank, correct?? And nothing ever seems to bother the chromis' that I see in people's tanks. They will be okay there, too?

Thanks for any help!

bob

In a deal struck with someone at work who is taking down his FOWLR to move - I am acquiring:

2 - green chromis

1 - Royal Gramma

1 - Coral Beauty Angel

1 - Percula clownfish

1 - sixline wrasse

1 - cleaner shrimp

snails, hermits

I still haven't got the 3-stripe damsel out of the nano, or I'd put the clown and Gramma there; so in the meantime, they will probably end up in the frag tank, along with the sixline wrasse (I already have one in my 58). Any chance the Gramma and the clownfish could handle the 3" 3-stripe damselfish? So far, every time he has acted aggressively (toward crabs and snails and stuff) - he is very 'passive aggressive'; he just keeps backing up into them like he's saying "give me room... give me room... you're crowding me, boy!"

Care and feeding for the chromis, gramma, angel, and clownfish?? (I already know what makes a sixline happy - and he's going to be ecstatic in that frag tank - there are pods in there so big he will need to wrestle them into submission.)

The angel should be fine with my two Anthias in the 58-gallon tank, correct?? And nothing ever seems to bother the chromis' that I see in people's tanks. They will be okay there, too?

Thanks for any help!

bob

I don't know about the the anthias and angel combination seems like they should be fine. All the other ones the gamma, angel, clown fish, gramma, and chromis should be ok eating high quality pelleted and flake food. As well as any combination of mysis and the like. Thats a heckuva deal you've got there if you wanna share lemme know :drink: .

Congrats Bob!

Get the Damsel out if I was you?

I don't have much experience with damsels, but if I were you I would get 1 more percula to make it a pair and then put everything except for the sixline in the 58 -- on the theory that the influx of that many fish at once will overwhelm the damsel or at least cause it to spread out it's aggresssion. Clowns and grammas are pretty tough fish IME, but a lot depends on size. A tough 3" fish vs a tough 1" fish . . . I know where I'd put my money.

If you can catch the damsel and you don't want to get rid of it yet, another option is to stick it in the sump for a few weeks while everything else gets accustomed to your new tank, and then put the damsel back in as the "new guy".

That's a great bunch of fish. Congratulations, good luck, and take lots of pictures. :)

I don't have much experience with damsels, but if I were you I would get 1 more percula to make it a pair and then put everything except for the sixline in the 58 -- on the theory that the influx of that many fish at once will overwhelm the damsel or at least cause it to spread out it's aggresssion. Clowns and grammas are pretty tough fish IME, but a lot depends on size. A tough 3" fish vs a tough 1" fish . . . I know where I'd put my money.

If you can catch the damsel and you don't want to get rid of it yet, another option is to stick it in the sump for a few weeks while everything else gets accustomed to your new tank, and then put the damsel back in as the "new guy".

That's a great bunch of fish. Congratulations, good luck, and take lots of pictures. :)

The Damsel (I looked at him last night - he's actually only 2" - which means he was TINY when I got him.) is in my 24-gallon nano. That tank is where I had always planned to have a 'nemo' or two. It's upstairs in the living room where everyone sees it. The nano has a new feature - a neighbor's cat stands next to it for hours every day batting at the glass, trying to help me catch the Damsel. He's having no better luck than me, so far.

bob

Congrats Bob!

Get the Damsel out if I was you?

Problem is - the 24-gallon tank has one HUGE rock in it. I spent a lot of time arranging that rock so it would fit in there and I could still get a cleaner magnet past it in the widest spots. It has big caves and tunnels and hiding places. It would be a complete tear-down to get it out so I could catch the fish. And that rock now has zoa's and a 6" diameter monti cap on it (1" frag in January). I really need a 'slurp gun'. Has anyone ever tried a small fishing hook and worms?

bob

Bob, have you ever looked into getting a small fish trap? I had one it looked like a tube that you can feed on one end and a trap door on the other... ask around I'm someone has one you can borrow..

BTW if you ever looking into getting rid of a clown keep me in mind...

A tough 3" fish vs a tough 1" fish . . . I know where I'd put my money.

Doesn't always work out that way.

I had a yellow tail damsel in my 75 tank to start it cycling. They're the most docile damsels, you know............. or so they say. He killed my other 2 damsels, my royal gramma and had my coral beauty on the ropes. I finally broke down MY WHOLE TANK to get it out. It currently lives a solitary life in my daughters room in what was supposed to be my QT. His name is Meany and he'll probably live forever.

My royal grammas mostly liked shrimp. Certainly never picked anything up off the bottom or from live rock anyway. Only caught things floating by. My Coral Beautys have eaten everything. They're my favorite fish.

Al

(edited)

All I have for fish in my 45 is 2 clowns and a jade damsel. The female clown which is 5 to 6", and the damsel which is about 2", are both extremely aggressive and many fatalities were at the hand of that clown. This damsel is ther only other fish not killed by that clown 3x its size - I believe the clown decided that this damsel is too much of a match to risk chasing or fighting.

Edited by treesprite