Hippo Tang?

So mostly why I'm soooo excited to start my tank is because I'd really REALLY like to put a hippo tang in it. I've done some reading/researching, as well as asking around, and it seems that almost everywhere I look, I always find a different answer, but I ran into a few that all say the minimum size tank I can put a hippo tang in is about 40g, and a few sources that all say something in the 70+g range....??

The tank I'm planning on starting is probably going to be about 54g, so because of the differences in all the answers I'm getting, I'm not sure if I can put a hippo tang in it. I'd reeeeally appreciate it if anyone has any answers that make sense.

(edited)

I personally have a 55 gallon tank and a hippo tang that came with it. It is being moved/sold to a new home because at a large 6" X 2/ 1/2 " there is NOT enough swimming room for him. As gorgeous as he is I'd love to keep him but in at least a 90! Just a thought.

Edited by hbh

I personally have a 55 gallon tank and a hippo tang that came with it. It is being moved/sold to a new home because at a large 6" X 2/ 1/2 " there is NOT enough swimming room for him. As gorgeous as he is I'd love to keep him but in at least a 90! Just a thought.

Well for 6" a 90 sounds about right, but what I was thinking was since they start out at about 2" I could get one, let it grow until I couldn't keep it in my 54 and then trade it out for another small one.

Good idea? Bad idea?

My personal opinion? Only purchase fish if you can provide a proper environment for all stages of the fishes' life, from juvie to adult. Fish tend to grow much faster than we expect. If the environment is too small, food sources are not adequate or other conditions are not right, the fish can become stressed, ill and stunted. Stunted fish may begin to grow again when moved to a larger tank but they rarely grow to their full size. JMHO

That's one of the sites I checked out, I kinda thought it was a little crazy--plus it was the ONLY place that said anything near that small of a tank.

Recommended Tank size: requires a 20 gallon or larger aquarium with a number of hiding places and plenty of room to swim.

Thats got to be an oxymoron, 20 gallons... plenty of room to swim

Recommended Tank size: requires a 20 gallon or larger aquarium with a number of hiding places and plenty of room to swim.

well, for a tang anyway

that store is part of the reason people have their tanks overcrowded and can't keep them clean

Maybe they mean a 20 gallon donut! :biggrin:

There seems to be two ways store describe minimum tank size: Some refer to the minimum size to house that species for the long term, and others report the minimum size to buy that specimen at the size they ship; i.e. short term.

Case in point of the latter: Notice these pages from the same store report different minimum tank sizes for different specimen sizes:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=4

1-2" = 40g minimum

3-4" = 90g minimum

5-6" = 150g minimum

So, I guess they expect your tank to grow with our fish. Hmmm.. I have a 2" in my 54g corner - does anyone know where I can get a tank that stretches?

'Ric

When I started out with a 54G corner and 2 clownfish, my stepdaughter quickly began begging for a "Dory" to go with "Nemo and Marlin." I patiently explained to her how big Hippos get, and used a ruler to demonstrate how small the tank would be for a fish that big and how unhappy it would be as a result. She kept wishing for one though, and after careful cultivation of this wish on my part, her mom finally relented. We now have a very happy "Dory" in our 150G. The tank is 5' x 2' x 2' and the aquascaping attempts to maximize available swimming room, but I still worry about whether the tank is big enough. It was about 3-4" when purchased in July and has grown about 2 " since then.

My personal opinion? Only purchase fish if you can provide a proper environment for all stages of the fishes' life, from juvie to adult. Fish tend to grow much faster than we expect. If the environment is too small, food sources are not adequate or other conditions are not right, the fish can become stressed, ill and stunted. Stunted fish may begin to grow again when moved to a larger tank but they rarely grow to their full size. JMHO

MHO as well.

Some people may think that my opinion is a bit overkill but for me I dont like keeping tangs in anything less then a 6' tank. I will put a tang in smaller when I am holding for a sale but that is it. I find you are constantly battling ich and stress in anything smaller. Just my 2 cents.