Question about Xenia death

inedukated

Hi everyone!

I've been so busy with school that I haven't had even 30 minutes to get on WAMAS and chat it up, but I'm hoping you guys can answer a question for me...

I have a rock in which I keep all my xenia isolated. It's about 9"x6", and roughly every week i need to trim it back due to all the growth. Well, I've been so busy that I didn't trim it for three weeks. Like my lawn, it got a bit crazy for a while, then I came home one day and couldn't believe my eyes. Half of the rock was completely dead. It was as if I shot Kalk paste all over them. Now, it's been 2 weeks since then, and the surviving half is doing well and slowly starting to regain control of the rock. I am wondering, do you think the xenia all died because I didn't trim it back as usual? Does xenia reach a maximum occupancy?

I have had the same experence with xenia, I added a small frag a over year ago, it spread to a good size, about 6 in sq. Then one day it just all started to died off, and was gone if a few days. Didnt notice any other changes, water was OK. I have tried to add another small frag since then with no success. I would like to add some back, I do miss all the pulsing hands.

Has anyone ever figured out the right conditions for xenia? I know some have success, and other with great tanks cant keep it.

I read before when Xenia colony reaches a "critical size" it might start receeding.

I know - we can't 'talk to the animals' ... but my xenia talks to me. Right now, my big xenia is getting close to being upset. It really REALLY wants to spread itself somewhere, and I haven't given it a rock lately. The main stem is well over an inch in diameter, and getting bumps all over it, looking for something to stick to. If I don't let it frag itself real soon, it will probably die back. I've been too busy to break up any rocks for it. It's also really frustrated, because it can just barely touch some rockwork nearby with it's little hands, but can't quite grow out enough to attach to it. I guarantee if I place a rock next to it, half the colony will be stuck to it within two days.

bob

I read before when Xenia colony reaches a "critical size" it might start receeding.

what is the "critical size".....mine just keeps speading. mass moved from low in the tank to taking over the large rock at the top of the tank, blocking light to some of my corals. Have trimmed back but it just grows right back. I seems to like the amount of water flow in my tank I guess (ehiem 1262 on wavySea, tunze 6080, korilia 4, tunze 6045 full flow mod) on a 90. If any one at any time needs pulsing xenia, just PM me and will always part with it.

IMG_0150.jpg

kngfisher, that is a crazy amount of coraline algae all over your tank!! looking good! I really want to take you up on your offer but since I have such a small tank the xenia will take over in a month!!!

BTW your tank is awesome!

I've had xenia spreading issues for a while now, so I completely separated my xenia on an "island" rock, which was about 6 inches away from anything else. This kept it from spreading to the neighboring rocks. Unfortunately I might have led it to suffocate....

It's growing back, so I'm not too upset, but i'd like to know why it died in the first place. Can anyone find a link to info about "critical size"?

(edited)

If any one at any time needs pulsing xenia, just PM me and will always part with it.

I'll be pruning mine again soon too, probably bringing a bunch to the meeting for the freebie table. I keep it on an island with some other misc. stuff to keep it from spreading.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

I used to have an equally successful group of red sea xenia but it crashed due to temp problems last August. Now there is only 1 little sprig left and it has been growing painfully slowly.

Edited by Rascal