My 75gl Plan!!!

toastiireefs

Atlantic's get quite large though. Don't know what size tank you are getting/pending, but I would avoid unless above 150 gal or so.

Atlantic's get quite large though. Don't know what size tank you are getting/pending, but I would avoid unless above 150 gal or so.

Doug,

I have seen them quite happy and fat in a 75G and the person said he had it in there for 2.5 years.

Raf

I'd be lying if i said i read the whole thing but if your looking for wrasses the royal flasher, ornate and radiance wrasses are all among my favorites. especially the ornate! the only thing is you must make sure you have a canopy to stop em from jumping out.

Craigs tank:

DSC_0005.JPG

It as big or bigger than the full grown emperator. It grew up in a 120 and got this big before craig put it in a 215.

thanks for the wrasse info..

hmmmmm wow thats bigger than the hippo back there it looks like

im prolly only gonna have the tank for max 3 years unless my mom grows attached to the tank- or i decide to live at home for the rest of my life

any other tang options

(edited)

maybe i'll not get any tangs and i will just get two dwarf angels

one coral beauty

one half black one/ or possibly lemon peel because they look so cool!/ or Talbot's Damsel - Chrysiptera talboti

hmmmm any other fishy options..

my origional plan (before i decided reef- ) was for erectus seahorses with some friendly fish.. but i like this plan better---

anyways idk if all my questions were answered but if i gots any more i'll ask!!!

oh also are VHO lights better than HO t-5? whats the difference and can you support the same livestock

this is the all the lighting i would get with my current deal im trying to work out with my parents

Lighting

250w IceCap Ballasts

Retrofit Kits

10 K XMs (2 new)

ARO Ballast

VHO 110w Super Actinic (4 new)

10 LED moon light

Edited by toastiireefs

Dory was a Hippo Tang (also called Regal Tang)

I lost one day I got it, then got another recently that is sick.

My Powder Blue Tang is doing fine, though, and a beautiful fish as well.

Other comments:

Two dwarf angels may fight each other. Same with two firefish, but I have both a Helfrichi and a Purple Firefish the don't. The purple is much larger, and they both generally stay at opposite sides of the tank.

Male McCosker's Flasher wrasse are nice and reef safe. 6 line are cut but small.

If you haven't considered them already, I love my mated pairs of Pearly Jawfish and Blue Neon Cleaner Gobies. (do not get a Cleaner Wrasse, but one of these instead. They are omnivores that clean as well. Cleaner Wrasses need parasites to eat or the will be malnurished and/or starve)

For inverts, Sexy Shrimp are fun. Get at least 3 in a group. Pom Pom Crabs are great, too. Make sure they still have at least one of their symbiotic 'pom pom' anemones when you buy.

Good Luck, and God Bless-

'Ric

thanks for the fishy tips!

yees i was thinking of jawfish

on the firefish ppl keep telling me to get two? so i was very confused...

the angel fish i'll prolly only get one..

am i over stocking my tank

i prolly just wont get a tang... :( or maybe i'll get a yellow tang or purple

ok so

1 coral beauty angel

1 (2?) firefish

2 clownfish

1 black barred goby

1 gold line goby

1 orange stripe shrimp goby (randals goby)

1 pearly jawfish

1 wrasse of some sort

1 yellow/purple tang (somewhere in t he far future if so)

some shrimp to pair with my goby

1/2 cleaner shrimp (do these only eat parasites or othre things as well.. i will get one if i get a tang)

snails

sexy shrimp :)

pom pom crab ? - i'll research those a bit

peps

corals

so is my lighting that i might get good listed in two posts above

Your lighting is plenty! I had the same setup on my 120g tank and it was very successful.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on Tangs. I have a blue hippo in a 92g corner tank (it's only 4' at it's widest point) and it is very happy and healthy. I constantly feed it and it hasn't seemed to have grown at all. On the other hand, I've seen them 3 times as big in the pet stores.

Your stocking list looks just fine. My only warning would be not to get cleaner gobies if you have a wrasse in the tank........they'll just become wrasse food!!

Your stocking list looks just fine. My only warning would be not to get cleaner gobies if you have a wrasse in the tank........they'll just become wrasse food!!

Do you really mean Cleaner Gobies or Cleaner Shrimp? I have heard that some wrasses will go after smaller shrimp, especially the non-reef-safe ones. I was worried when I first got some Sexy Shrimp because the ones that came in were TINY (<1/4!) but I've had no problems with my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse or my Six-Line Wrasse going after either of the Cleaner Gobies or any of the eight Sexy Shrimp I have now. The Sexy Shrimp are capable of some incredible Matrix-moves, so that would help them if they were ever in danger, too.

Sometimes these things are just up to the individual fish you get and a bit of dumb luck. No combination is Risk-Free.

Cheers,

'Ric

so as it may turn out... i might be going back to a nano reef idea...

sadly

im really upset

i got my mom to agree if my dad agreed but hes like "sara you need that money for college"

:(

so i might get a 40gl which id ither have clowns and corals or a pair of seahorses...

i dont know yet though but thats what it looks like

Do you really mean Cleaner Gobies or Cleaner Shrimp? I have heard that some wrasses will go after smaller shrimp, especially the non-reef-safe ones. I was worried when I first got some Sexy Shrimp because the ones that came in were TINY (<1/4!) but I've had no problems with my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse or my Six-Line Wrasse going after either of the Cleaner Gobies or any of the eight Sexy Shrimp I have now. The Sexy Shrimp are capable of some incredible Matrix-moves, so that would help them if they were ever in danger, too.

Sometimes these things are just up to the individual fish you get and a bit of dumb luck. No combination is Risk-Free.

Cheers,

'Ric

I'm talking cleaner gobies. I got 4 of the neon blue cleaner gobies ($60), put them in my tank and watched my 6 line devour them within 5 minutes. The websites all said that they were compatible.......but THEY LIED!!

nice... that really sucks

i think im ousting the wrasse- because idk... i might add one int hefuture if there is a future of this tank

(edited)

I'm talking cleaner gobies. I got 4 of the neon blue cleaner gobies ($60), put them in my tank and watched my 6 line devour them within 5 minutes. The websites all said that they were compatible.......but THEY LIED!!

Established sixlines can be aggressive to any new inhabitants, especially small ones that are easy marks. I tried neon gobies in the past and my sixline left them alone but my royal gramma went after them like he hadn't eaten in a month. That was in smaller tank. I put 2 in my current tank about a month ago and everyone seems to like them just fine. The gramma even lets them clean it. I also have 4 cleaner shrimp and nobody ever bothers them.

A lot probably depends on the individual "personalities" of the fish, order in which they were added, relative size, size of the tank, aquascaping, other inhabitants, and probably many more factors that I haven't even thought of yet. All part of what keeps things interesting.

Edited by Rascal

so if this tank plan goes down the drain- (my parents are not so sure money wise)

then i will prolly get a 40gl erectus tank... idk if ive already said this here

but im saying it again

There is a middle ground between the erectus tank and the dream tank you've been designing. You can buy live rock and used equipment from people who are leaving the hobby and save half or more over buying new. Consider a smaller tank maybe and go a little slower on some of the less urgent purchases. For instance, you're pricing this with all of the fish that you want to have. Start with less fish and buy the rest over time.

While this can be a very expensive hobby, a lot of people have set up very nice tanks on a relatively small budget.

(edited)

sry i havent been here for a while

but the 75 is definately prolly not going to work out-

there are two options

one is a 2000$ for prolly 5000+$ worth of high end equiptment and over 100# of live rock and sand- test equiptment skimmers etc..

one with skimmer lr tank everything just not as much included for 1500 then discounted fish

i think my parents arent thrilled with 2000$ worth of tank they say too much money!!! which it is-

i will work on haveing a tank prolly A LOT bigger than this and manymore tanks when im older and have my own house and hopefully a rich husband and a nice salary haha

now my 3 options for a 40gl tank are

1) erectus tank- i have experiece with seahorses that apparently require a lot more care than these

2) a mini reef tank with a pair of clowns and a flame angel and gobies

3) dwarf lion fish tank (could i keep anything else with them- i bought the conscientious aquarist today and i was confused on this) if you kept something larger but not necesarily predator than is that ok with it? idk i dont need anything with it i love lion fish.they are pretty.

those are the options i have considered and are equally prefeered for different reasons-

1) i love seahorses and have experience and would love a larger species of them

2) i love behavior in animals and would love to see clownfish interact

3) lion fish are amazingly gorgeous- but i willprolly not do this for i would love to have a larger tank and keep voltions (sp? is that right?)

- thanks for all your help and i hope continued suggestions are given !

Edited by toastiireefs

• 7 months later...

well tbh I am going to point you to the post above yours from Ybe, @k is a heck of alot of money, and I certainly did not pay that for my 75 with skimmer and lights and LR. now I have spent that well over over the years in swapping stuff and getting better equipment for the porc puffer i house but still.

I paid 200 for the 75 with an overflow (go to mrcoral if you want a similar price on the tank) if you arent going to use a sump you can watch places like superpetz for their we are way overstocked on tanks sale, they had 75 non drilled tanks there for 100 bucks .

LR and skimmers grab them here, i got several skimmers herer with very good results, and got plenty more ideas from meeting the members as well. Flowerseller Dhoch Raf and others whose tanks i visited back in 06 all pointed me to ways to save lots of money and i got a few frags of corals to boot.

i know adding up tank, LR, skimmer, and lights i paid around 750 800 bucks. thats a 75gallon drilled with overflow and tek lighting t5 6 bulb strip, and a monster etss skimmer from modelrr.

i have well over 100lbs of LR as well, i just waited for tear downs locally. Rule of thumb never pay more then 3$ per lb from a teardown, then go to places like BRK F&F etc and pick out a few specific pieces out of their big bins to create the look you want.

you support the group and the local businesses better to boot and you save money.

i seriously doubt you need 1000$ to setup without fish, and could use the other 500 for surprises fish etc, even if there isnt a major breakdown sale.

i am a college student and disabled so i live on 600 bucks a month approximately, and this was what i got for waiting a bit and working out trades and watching the boards here.

DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

these photos are about a year old but this was when i hit the 1k mark approximatly, maybe 1200 at most.

Edited by Jager