Questions about fragging soft leather corals

zobey

I am new to keeping a reef system (have kept many fish only tanks for years) and was wondering if anyone can help me out with a few things .....

(1) How do I frag a leather toadstool as it grows and I want it to spread a little? I was told by the store I got it from that all I have to do is cut off a piece with a razor blade and attatch to a rock with a rubber band to hold it in place until it adheres. How large of a piece do I need to cut off and do I have to cut it all the way to the base? Do I have to take any kind of precautions to aid in healing the cut areas?

(2) Same question as above but for mushrooms - disc anemones ???

and lastly .....

(3) Can anyone in the area spare some small frags of easy to keep (desireable) corals to help get me started - I live in Haymarket, VA but my work takes me on a regular basis throughout the Baltimore/Washington regional area. Any help in this area sure would be appreciated!

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

120 gallon reef tank (4L x 3T x 1.5 W)

6 TEK T5 Lights (variety of actinic, actinic+, midday, aquablue)

Live Rock, thick sand bed, wet/dry sump, UV, protien skimmer

System has been running for about 3 months.

1) rubber bands fine, but need to play the balance game or too tight vs. not enough pressure. Or you can wedge it between 2 rocks and let it adhere that way.

2) I usually put mushrooms in a shallow container of rubble or aragonite, with netting (thule? wedding veil stuff) above to hold them in. After attched to the gravel, I glue that to larger rocks.

3) LMK if you are in Purcellville, I will give you some.

1) rubber bands fine, but need to play the balance game or too tight vs. not enough pressure. Or you can wedge it between 2 rocks and let it adhere that way.

2) I usually put mushrooms in a shallow container of rubble or aragonite, with netting (thule? wedding veil stuff) above to hold them in. After attched to the gravel, I glue that to larger rocks.

3) LMK if you are in Purcellville, I will give you some.

I can easily get out to purcellville. In fact I have to take my martin guitar to someone there to have some work done on it. When would be best for us to hook up - a big help. What kind of frags can you offer??

Welcome to green zoos, capnella, maybe a few easy sps or gorgonian. The catch - Must return the favor as you become more experienced to other newbs.

Sun would be earliest, I have a some funeral stuff fri and sat. Reston as well during the day if easier.

(1) As far as the leather coral goes - was I told correctly in terms of how to cut and how much to cut??

(2) As far as the mushrooms - how do they need to be cut, how carefully, with what, how much to cut, and do they have to be cut all the way down through the base.

Sunday will work fine - anytime. Let me know where and when and what I need to bring. And for sure the favor will be returned to others - only good Karma!

come out for a fragging session as well. I have both that I will cut to show. But look on garf.org as well, Keep searching, there is a ton out there.

Sounds good to me - I'm all eyes and ears! Can you email me directions and time to come out?

Welcome to WAMAS!

I have a leather dropping frags at the moment and you are welcome to one or two of those. I also have some kenya and maybe a some pink zoas. I'm only a few minutes from where you live and will be home tomorrow though the weekend if you want to drop in.

If you happen to come by, I also have some supplies that you could carry to Doug since you are going that way (assuming you don't mind). I'll PM my cell number and address.

I would love to come by. Saturday morning would probably work best for me and I can certainly bring supplies up to dougs for you. Let me know what time is best and I'll be there. I could even possibly come by tomorrow some time if you are around. I'm having mulch delivered sometime (not sure when) and I have a contractor stopping by to discuss bids on renovation to our house so not sure what time if it was tomorrow.

let me know if tomorrow or saturday is best and what time - thanks much. I look forward to hearing back from you about my other issues that I told you about.

I would love to come by. Saturday morning would probably work best for me and I can certainly bring supplies up to dougs for you. Let me know what time is best and I'll be there. I could even possibly come by tomorrow some time if you are around. I'm having mulch delivered sometime (not sure when) and I have a contractor stopping by to discuss bids on renovation to our house so not sure what time if it was tomorrow.

let me know if tomorrow or saturday is best and what time - thanks much. I look forward to hearing back from you about my other issues that I told you about.

You will be passing right by my place on your way to Ybenormal's :) I'm home Saturday until about 2:00 usually. And I just happen to be in need of cleaning my frag tank out for a fragging session on Sunday afternoon.

Blue mushroom, green laser mushroom (remind me there's a loose one in the sump), a piece of wedding veil to hold it down with, monti digi that's supposed to be purple, monti caps; green star polyps of various sorts, big frilly mushroom, etc... I'm incurable - I've even taken a piece of coral from a trash can, carried it home in my pocket dry, and mounted it. And it's growing nicely. My cat even runs away when I have a dremel in my hand; for fear I'll try to frag a piece of its tail. One day I'm going to have a 58-gallon display, with a 120-gallon frag tank.

Will PM address and phone. Call if you're coming.

bob