mogurnda

Should I replace the brace?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How dumb?

• not dumb
    • a little dumb
    • pretty dumb
    • very, very dumb

I was hoping that diffraction would reduce the shadow from the center brace in my 65, but it's not enough.

I have seen tanks in which the center brace has been removed and replaced with acrylic, so I was getting opions on whether to do it, and if so, how.

My idea would be to cut the brace, leaving an inch or so at either end, then replace the center section with a piece of acrylic, bolted to the remaining ends of the brace with nylon screws.

Any input would be appreciated, especially that from people who have tried it.

depnends on the type of tank. most successful versions use clamsp on the tank sides to prevent bowing, then melt the center brace out using a hot knife or iron, leaving a 2 inch long part on both ends of the brace. then they drill into those edges and tap for nylon screws uin the brace as well as the acrylic and attach the new brace.

are you doing this to your main tank? how many gallons is it? this usually works on smaller tanks, but ive rarely seen it done above a 46bowfront. larger tanks are usually drained then eurobraced for better strength.

HTH

Lol I ended up with the tank chris was talking about. I repaced the brace with very very high grade stainless that was twisted to taughtness then locked. It's worked so far with very minimal rust. I'm happy and I measured the tank before and after she got filled and there was no percieveable play.

That rust that you're experiencing will foul your tank. Rust flakes off and will flake into the water.

My suggestion is that you use an appropriate epoxy on top of the screws if you're intending on this being permanent. If you do this, you will have a higher strength in the bar. I can't imagine that you'd ever tear it as long as you had strong enough acrylic, but you never know if you will get some micro cracks when you're screwing the nylon screws in. If you do and they start to pull, it could fail without you knowing it. If it's bonded to the bracing, it'll reduce this pressure and prevent it from cracking all the way through in the long term.