Don't give up on your corals

dhoch

Here are a couple of pics of why:

First up is a bubble coral. I had this in my previous tank, a 125.... got it at roozens.. it never did well and always declined. When I upgraded I noticed a small speck of flesh so I threw the coral into the new tank...

Over time it's grown... here is a then and now pics:

bubble01.jpg

bubble11.jpg

Next up is my red cap. This coral was going great and then I used phosban which caused my coral to loose almost all it's flesh. It's started growing back and now looks good, but still has some growing to do.

redcap05.jpg

redcap09.jpg

Dave

(edited)

Great advice and post Dave.

great picks and nice looking pieces.

did you just upgrade the tank and upgrade the equipment? if equipment, what was then and what is now?

Edited by kngfisher

2.5 years ago I did an upgrade from a 125 to the exisiting 180....That's when I went T5....

Dave

Guest Bemmer

Awesome pics, Dave. Great advice for all of us.

(edited)
That's when I went T5....

To T5 from what?

Also, what leads you to link the problem in the old tank to the use of Phosban, say versus lighting?

fab

Edited by fab

Two separate issues:

Bubble coral was my old tank... really not setup very well, and it declined because of probably a number of factors: Insufficient flow, skimming & light.

The Red Cap was never in my old tank... It was only in the new tank and it thrived for ~1 year... I was battling hair algae and I tried phosban and it did that to it (it was the only change).

Dave

dhoch,

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you think you dosed the Phosban incorrectly or any thing else that made it happen? ... or do you think Phosban is inherently risky?

I'm considering a Phosphate reactor on my system. Any observations or recommendations?

Thanks,

fab

fab,

I may have gone to fast with... I had a slow drip for 3 days before I opened up more... it was right after I opened up that I experienced the problem...

Not sure why it did what it did, but you can see the result...

Here is a pic of the cap 3 months before I used phosban:

redcap06.jpg

Dave

I got an a. validia at a CMAS meeting about 4-5 months ago. It was infected with RB's. I split it with someone and took it home, we both did interceptor treatment. I did about a 40x dose in a little take out container and left it overnight with no heat or flow. Guess how it looked in the AM :) Almost completely white but still just a hint of tan. I still have it and it has continued to grow although never showed any signs of color except a very light tan. I would have pitched it by now except when I went to pull it from the tank it had encrusted to a rock. Last week I was looking at it and saw just a hint of purple and even less of a green hint coming back to it. I should take a pic before it grows into a colony ;)

on the other hand if you DO want to give up on a coral, instead of throwing it away you can pm me :) haha

My turn! I had a frag of a monti-digi that about 2 weeks ago turned completely white. I tossed it down at the end of the frag tank with the empty frag plugs and small rocks I use for mounting frags. Today - it started opening up polyps!

e9671977.jpg

What's scary - last night I drastically increased the flow-through on that frag tank. I wonder....

bob