Where can I buy sea salt?

jnguyen4007

Does anyone know if there are local FS in the area that sell sea salt that might even offer discount to WAMAS member? Also, is there a particular brand that is better than other? Thanks for your help.

James

You can pretty much find salt at any LFS. Check with John or Byron at www.blueribbonkoi.com to see what they have in and price. It's much cheaper to buy it a large quantity than in the smaller boxes.

Most people prefer to use Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals (both made by the same company).

You can pretty much find salt at any LFS. Check with John or Byron at www.blueribbonkoi.com to see what they have in and price. It's much cheaper to buy it a large quantity than in the smaller boxes.

Most people prefer to use Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals (both made by the same company).

Is there any difference between the two or is it just the packaging name? Also what size do they come in?

Guest JasonD

Aquarium One in Rockville has the best price right now for WAMAS members...I believe it's $34 for a 200 gallon box. BRK may match it...it's a lot closer for you.

Reef Crystals adds extra trace elements to its mixture. If you do water changes or supplement your system you will be fine with Instant Ocean. That's all that I've ever used and began with it because it was one of the cheaper ones and had a good reputation. Whatever you choose, stick with it, switching salts can have adverse effects on your tank.

I second what was said. Blue Ribbon Koi often buys pallets and has the 200 gallon boxes for cheap and I believe that Aquarium One has a new price all the time on those. If you're in Manassas, but the BRK salt, even if it's more expensive, the gas money alone will make the salt cost more than going out to Aquarium One for you.

Aquarium One in Rockville has the best price right now for WAMAS members...I believe it's $34 for a 200 gallon box. BRK may match it...it's a lot closer for you.

Is that for RC or IO? Actually, I've been interested in doing a GB for RC, but never really looked in to it.

Guest JasonD

Is that for RC or IO? Actually, I've been interested in doing a GB for RC, but never really looked in to it.

It's for IO.

BRK just had a group but on the IO salt not too long ago. Not sure if they still had any left over from the group buy but you can check with them. Also I bet if you get enough people to say they want more salt I doubt they would be against doing it again. Last time I think the count was 40 boxes? On plus BRK is probably less than 15 mins from you.

(edited)

brk still have plenty of salt from the group buy. A lot of no shows who never paid or picked up their salt.

Edited by rocko918

A lot of no shows who never paid or picked up their salt.

Pardon me for expressing my slightly OT opinion (and in my best Texas slang) but that "just aint fair". BRK went out of their way to make the GB happen. Anyone who committed to a purchase should hold up their end of the bargain.

Back OT: James, I sent you a PM earlier. Give me a call when you have a few minutes.

Pardon me for expressing my slightly OT opinion (and in my best Texas slang) but that "just aint fair". BRK went out of their way to make the GB happen. Anyone who committed to a purchase should hold up their end of the bargain.

Back OT: James, I sent you a PM earlier. Give me a call when you have a few minutes.

Hi Bob,

I would give you a call if I have your number. LOL.

James

Hi Bob,

I would give you a call if I have your number. LOL.

James

Oops! :blush: I thought I included it in the PM. You have it now!