Nori question

Guest JasonD

Guest JasonD

My new Yellow Tang made quick work of the algae in the tank, and does not care for the Spectrum pellets, so I got him some nori. He takes a nibble as he makes his rounds of the tank. How long should I keep the nori in there before I take it out? He takes his time, and it would take him several hours to eat a 2x2 piece of nori (it must be made of concrete -- it stays in one piece no matter how long it's in there).

I don't know what nori is?? I feed my tang formula one flakes...

I wouldn't leave it in for more than a few hours at most. Pull it out and give it a big wiff. If you fall over, take it out. :)

What kind are you feeding? Roasted or not?

(edited)

Nori = dried seaweed, like the stuff that's wrapped around a sushi roll

JasonD: Tangs are grazers. Ideally they like to have algae to nibble on throughout the day. How big is yours? Unless it's tiny, if you are only feeding 2"x2" sheets I would just leave it in there until it eats it. I know what dbartco is talking about re: the smell, but for me the only part that ever gets that way is the stuff that gets stuck in the feeding clip and is left uneaten. He's right though, if you leave it long enough for it to start to rot and smell, it's time to take it out. IME that takes more than a few hours though.

Out of curiousity. What type of nori are you using? My problem is that a lot of the sheets I use come apart and go all over the tank before they are eaten. Most of the resulting small pieces get snatched up before getting swept over the overflow, but I would much prefer being able to stick a piece in the clip and have it stay there until it gets eaten.

Edited by Rascal

what kind of algae do they prefer

Guest JasonD
(edited)

My tang is about 2-3 inches long. He ate about

Edited by JasonD

I feed my guys (Pacific Blue, Yellow & Naso Tangs) Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies Purple Seaweed (Nori) from Two Little Fishes. I also prefer their seaweed clip as its more sleeker. Got mine from Dr. Fosters or Marine Depot one of the two.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I feed my guys (Pacific Blue, Yellow & Naso Tangs) Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies Purple Seaweed (Nori) from Two Little Fishes. I also prefer their seaweed clip as its more sleeker. Got mine from Dr. Fosters or Marine Depot one of the two.

Me too! I actually buy all three kinds and rotate (red, purple and green), just to be sure they are getting all the nutrients they need (two tangs, large yellow and large sailfin). I place 1/2 sheet per day in the tank in the evening. Its usually gone within an hour or so. I also feed mixed greens (lettuce) when I have it. They love that too. They basically love anything I put in that clip, including cucumbers, squash, etc.. They've come to associate the clip with food. So I think if I put wood in there they'd probably try to eat it . .. . .

That said, I would not feed Mr. Tang more than it can consume in one day. If its not gone by the end of the day, take it out or feed it to the crabs.

:)

Edited by Biodork

I recently saw someone take a piece of nori, put galic extract on it, roll it up and tie it to a small rock with a rubber band. This way it stays more intact rather than breaking up and floating away or into your overflow. The tang was able to graze on it for a long time that way.

Guest JasonD

Mr. Tang has learned that nori=good time. I put a piece in my MagFloat and he's on it like a White Shark after a baby seal.

you can also clip on a piece of broccoli- they will eat the flourettes and leave the rest. Also romaine lettuce and green zucchini will give them something nutritious to graze on. Toss the remainder when al the dark green is gone- same with the zucchini

I recently saw someone take a piece of nori, put galic extract on it, roll it up and tie it to a small rock with a rubber band. This way it stays more intact rather than breaking up and floating away or into your overflow. The tang was able to graze on it for a long time that way.

I like this method best - it allows the other critters - worms, snails and crabs - a chance to cleanup after dark - no waste

• 2 weeks later...

I just started with Nori since I recently added a foxface (who seems rather carnivorous!)

Is roasted ok? That's what I have in my house.

Does it matter if it's old -- like several years old?