Thermometers

mutley29

(edited)

I have had many different temp guages in my tanks over the years, my most recent Thermometer and one which i hoped would be a good long term purchase has curled up it's toes and shuffled of this mortal coil in just over a year.

I need something reliable, accurate and robust, Calibration would be a bonus.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Anton

that is what I use, what issues did you have with it?

lot more reliable then P43107.jpg...you have to read the fine print...accuracy +/- 2 degrees

Edited by kngfisher

(edited)

If you decide on the Renco, shop around.....example, in a casual flip threw my homebrew catalog, they are $65 for the Dual control ... you just have to splice in the plugs or $89 for it fully assembled

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16667

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16666

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16664

lot cheaper then the $154 via Foster and Smith

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113768

Edited by kngfisher

I have 2 Ranco single stage controllers. One contolls fans and one controls the heaters. The temp probes are factory calibrated. The fan Ranco is always either 1 deg above or the same as the heater Ranco. The display is only in whole numbers so I am assuming the difference in temp calibration is less than 1 deg. When I added a chiller last year, I set its temp to be in between the two Rancos. So when I look at my temps, I usually see 3 different readings (the chiller gives me 10ths) but they are consistent in their order and always within +/- 1 degree.

In researching temp controllers I don't remember anyone ever reporting a problem with the Rancos.

I have the following: Two of those little coralifes pictured in this thread, hanna handheld PH\temp meter, handheld cheap TDS meter and a Ranco single stage. All read the same temperature except the Ranco, which is 1.7 degrees off of all the others, and why it's set to turn my canopy fans on at 83, when the tank is really at 81.3.

I am not impacted by the Ranco being off because it and the probe are in my stand so it wouldn't be easy for me to use it as a temp display device anyways.

Those Coralife ones are a POS! I love my Aqua JR but even those can go bad. My ReefKeeper temp probe went bad on me and my temp was reading high so the heater didnt cut on. Luckly i looked that my temp was so high and put my hand in the water and it was freezing. I always have a El Cheapo glass one in there and check it to make sure they match.

(edited)

I like the Hanna Digital PH and Temp. probe. You can get one on ebay for $69.00 and buy the ph calibration fluid and storage solution for a few dollars more. I think it works well. Model #H198128

Pam

Edited by Makai

I have those floating glass deallymabobs in my sumps where I can't see them or worry about the temperature. If it feels hot I open the canopy, if it feels cool the canopy stays closed. Fans are always on regardless of temperature. Never really had a need for a heater in a reef.

The Hanna is awesome - I had a heck of a time trying to figure out my ph before, using a test kit or strip where slight variations in red mean you are between 7.6 and 8.4. The funny part is that now that I buffer my top off water I am always at 8.3-ish and rarely even check anymore.

Nonw if they made a handheld nitrate meter like the hanna . . .