Southdown sand

ArtC

I was leaving a meeting in Crystal City today and walked past a restaurant that had tables set up on the sidewalk. Next to each table was an umbrella. Holding down each umbrella were two 40# sacks of YardRite (AKA Southdown) sand. It was 90 degrees and I was wearing a suit, so I had to leave it there. :biggrin:

But if anybody gets a chance to eat at Bebe's Trattoria on Crystal Drive and find out who they buy their sand from...

YardRite is still available locally. Unless you can find some of the very old stuff though, it is not the aragonite version that everyone is looking for. Just plain ol' white silica sand.

Sit outside and order a salad. "Oil and vinegar on the side please....." LOL Seriously guys they are not going to know or care where the sand came from. If it's "the good stuff" offer them some new sand as a replcement and give the GM $20 to get them some "new sand".

Sit outside and order a salad. "Oil and vinegar on the side please....." LOL Seriously guys they are not going to know or care where the sand came from. If it's "the good stuff" offer them some new sand as a replcement and give the GM $20 to get them some "new sand".

Vinager for the fizz test.. I see what you did there. Very sneaky... :drink:

The bag for the good stuff says "Tropical Play Sand" and "From the Carribean"

The newer, useless stuff says "Play Sand" and nothing about the Carribean.

tim

I've never seen a bag of YardRite outside of a tank tour, so I'm doubly glad I didn't lug a sack of it home when it was 90F and I was wearing a suit.

So is the sand now only available through the exceedingly expensive aquarium trade distribution chain?