New Setup

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Hey Everyone....  Well we picked up new 90 gallon tank with a framed in stand.  It is pre-drilled with 2 2.5 bulkheads in it already.  Kinda setup up bit like Howards tank, but 2 instead of 3.  I plan on starting up the 90, and moving stuff from the 29 and then using the 29 as my sump.

Since, I have never had a 'Sump' not quite sure of all of what I need to worry about or do.  Since the previous owner used a Mag 12, I am assuming I need should try to setup the same.  We are going to keep a mostly Softies/Fish tank.

So anyways, I guess I am posting to get ideas from people. :) Still kinda excited about getting the tank.

Thanks for any Help!!!!

I try to keep it simple.

After head pressure loss, you should have at least 1000gph turn over sump to tank and a good high volume, long contact skimmer.

You are welcome to come see mine.

Chip

with 2.5 inch bulkheads i think you can use a larger return pump. depending on the flow you want through your sump and how much pipe you want to use. or how many ft of head you will have. make sure you to adjust the water level in your sump for the overflows so if power goes of it wont overflow. are you going to do a fuge part of the sump?

Guest sfshea
The most difficult part of my setup was getting the bulkheads to seal properly. I learned the hard way: Install them, and then leak test them immediately.  Nothing worse than setting it all up and then having to dismantle to fix a problem at step one.

The most difficult part of my setup was getting the bulkheads to seal properly. I learned the hard way: Install them, and then leak test them immediately.  Nothing worse than setting it all up and then having to dismantle to fix a problem at step one.

what i did was put a bead of silicone on the bulkhead where the nut screws on, got that advice from tgallo, works like a charm

Guest D33rex
If your going only softies, if your return pump is powerful enough just throw a squid on it and you dont really need any other circulation if you don't want to mess with it.

Guest mikesroth

Well.. the bulkheads are already in, and the have the PVCS elbow that points up, and about 2 or 3 inches sticking out of the back.  I also have the 'old' pipes that he used, just need to figure out how to reconnect everything and if it will fit where I want it.   The old setup went through a wall, I want it to go down into the stand.

Chip, if we go through with this deal with Kenton, I will need to swing by your house to pick up my stuff (if you don't mind).  Could I sneak a peek at your setup again (this time I promise to pay more attention to your setup and less on the tank. :laugh: )

Speaking of skimmers, what type do you think I should get? Or is it more feasible to try and make one?

Of course it figures, someone was selling a Mag 12, and I didn't hop in, not knowing I'd need one. hehe