Mysis/Mysid in your sump?

Valab

I've been thinking about adding some of those live small shrimps to my sump (280 gal) with the notion that they would multiply and provide some competition for the Grammaris amphipods that are all over the place in there now.  Since I already feed frozen mysis to the fish in my main tank I also thought that I might be able to transfer some of the mysis to the main tank for an occasional live food source.  

I was wondering what you folks think of this plan and whether anyone actually has kept a breeding population successfully.  Any downside to having them in the sump?  

Thanks!  Chris

]]]bmp

Tank is 120 gal; sump 280 gal.  I set it up about 9 mo ago - my first marine tank and I wanted all the help I could get with water stability, so I made a large sump in a laundry room and plumbed it through a wall to an adjoining office room.

Amphipods and copepods- confusing and many varieties- Check out this article on growing them out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/breeder2.htm

Mysis shrimp are a bit different check out the below site:

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/mysisCulturing.shtml

I think what you are referring to are the free swimming amphipods. My experiece is all you need do is add phytoplankton- either paste or DT's live or grow your own phyto and you will have them in abundance. Live phyto seems to work much better than paste. The phyto paste works resonably well with rotifers- which is another feed item altogether.

In one of those articles it says to rear them at ~20% salinity.  I guess they're brackish water animals since my tank water is 35%.  

Anyone out there ever tried to keep mysis/id in normal seawater?