Oceanic Biocube 29 gal; or 37 gallon long tank

Kenneth

I currently have a 25 gallon reef tank with a Skilter 250 fillter/skimmer combo. But tomorrow, as a replacement, I plan on buying:

-- an Oceani Biocube 29 gallon all-in-one system

OR

a 37 gallon (long, tall, and thin -- nice form factor for a reef): unsure of the type of filtration I will use (canister?, trickle?)

Clearly, the all-in-one system is easier and convenient. I am not fully informed about installing a trickle sump system with a refugium, but I am really attracted to the system.

Any advice on which is better for the long-term enjoyment and maintanance of either system?

I would go with the all in one unit. You mention a long, tall, thin tank. Those aren't that accomadating for having a reef tank, especially liverock. To me, the depth (front to back) is the most important aspect of the tank. I'd much rather have a large "footprint" than a taller tank. Just my 2 cents.

The 37 gallon tank's depth is 12 inches .

The complete dimensions are 36 in length x 12 in width x 20 in height.

Kenneth

I would go with the all in one unit. You mention a long, tall, thin tank. Those aren't that accomadating for having a reef tank, especially liverock. To me, the depth (front to back) is the most important aspect of the tank. I'd much rather have a large "footprint" than a taller tank. Just my 2 cents.

The 37 gallon tank's depth is 12 inches .

The complete dimensions are 36 in length x 12 in width x 20 in height.

Kenneth

Long, thin tall tanks are generally hard to aquascape. Greater depth of the tank (front to back) is usually preferable as James pointed out. They are easier to aquascape.

If you decide not to go with an all-in-one unit I would look at a 40g breeder.

Edited by SDBDRZ

The reason why I liked the long tank is because at Super Pets in Annandale, they have a demonstration reef tank with beautiful rocks and corals that is long and rather thin in relation to its overal proportions. They start with small rocks at the front and gradually step up to almost the top of the tank to the back. It is peppered with corals etc and you can really see everything.

Long, thin tall tanks are generally hard to aquascape. Greater depth of the tank (front to back) is usually preferable as James pointed out. They are easier to aquascape.

If you decide not to go with an all-in-one unit I would look at a 40g breeder.

The reason why I liked the long tank is because at Super Pets in Annandale, they have a demonstration reef tank with beautiful rocks and corals that is long and rather thin in relation to its overal proportions. They start with small rocks at the front and gradually step up to almost the top of the tank to the back. It is peppered with corals etc and you can really see everything.

What you just described is much easier to accomplish with a deep, shorter tank :-) With a 12" depth and 20" height you are going to have a very steep rock structure if you want to go almost to the top of the tank. Its all personal preference of course.

I have never been to that Super Pets, is the rock and corals liverock and corals or is it manmade decorations?

No offense, but I would never take recommendations from Super Pets. I have been there twice I will never go back. Both times I counted half a dozen dead fish just sitting in there tanks, and many of there tanks were over run with pests like aptasia. The store is all about their bottom line, and cares nothing for the wellbeing of the livestock they carry. I've heard this same complaint over and over about that store. I hope it doesn't appear I'm being rude to you, I'm just trying to warn you before you start wasting your money there. They don't quarantine their fish before they start selling them to the public, so you could get a fish that just spent the last 24hrs in a cardboard box. All 3 stores I list below hold onto their fish at least a week before they sell them to the public, and this lowers the risk of you buying an unhealthy fish that will die on you when you take it home. There are two great stores over on your side of the beltway. I would check out:

http://www.blueribbonkoi.com/

and

http://finsandfeathers.storesecured.com/

Both stores are run by hobbyists and take great care of their livestock.

If you want to travel to the MD side of the beltway, you can also checkout:

http://www.scales-tfw.com/

Best of luck with whatever path you take.

Thanks for the advice. I have new to the hobby -- only about 6 months of experience. But all is going well.

Thanks again, and I would also like to check out the other places you recommended.

No offense, but I would never take recommendations from Super Pets. I have been there twice I will never go back. Both times I counted half a dozen dead fish just sitting in there tanks, and many of there tanks were over run with pests like aptasia. ...

There are nano reefs by CAD that look better than most of the all in one types. Personally, I would buy the parts and assemble my own (which I am in the process of doing/thinking about). I would also go for depth rather than height.

Super petz? no thanks, Wally's is better run and the others mentioned are far better still in terms of customer service and quality of live stock.

I also wanted to tell you that paying the $20 on here to become a member was the best $20 I ever spent in the hobby. I made that money back ten-fold after my first purchase of some used equipment. I got my first professional skimmer used for only $200, and it wouldn't cost me over $600 new. So I basically paid $20 to save over $400, and that was just my first purchase on the for sale boards. Lord knows how much money I've saved by being a member.

I'm just a member and I wont make any money off you joining. I'm just trying to help.

Add me for 4 cents! I'm moving everything from a 45 into a 58 over the weekend, and floor space is the main reason.

bob

I also wanted to tell you that paying the $20 on here to become a member was the best $20 I ever spent in the hobby. I made that money back ten-fold after my first purchase of some used equipment. I got my first professional skimmer used for only $200, and it wouldn't cost me over $600 new. So I basically paid $20 to save over $400, and that was just my first purchase on the for sale boards. Lord knows how much money I've saved by being a member.

I'm just a member and I wont make any money off you joining. I'm just trying to help.

Yeah! Join tonight, advertise that you want a tank, make a deal, and go to the BRK social tomorrow to pick it up. :) Now that's killing so many birds with one stone, it's like having a scattergun!

bob