clown fishes

Tri Bui

I need some advices, I have a 75g tank, already have pair of Maroon clown with a short bubble tip anemones for years.  Now I would like to put onther pair of clown fishes don't know what to get yet.  Do you think I am going to have a problem?  What types of clown should I get?

Thanks

Guest bill33
major problem. i would not keep different clowns in the same tank.  and the maroons are so aggresive any ways

My first reaction would be that you will not be able to put a second pair in a tank that size.  Now there is a chance that it might work out if terrorities could be established by creating natural barriers in the tank.  Even so I don't think it could be accomplished in a 75g - maybe in longer tank where the pairs could be spaced out further.

There are many other great fish you should consider rather than taking a risk with a second pair of clowns.

Steve

I fully agree that the tank isn't large enough for an additional pair of clowns.  If you want pairs, there are lots of other potentials.

Tri,

What other fish do you have in your tank?

Everyone in the group is different and have their own favorites. Myself, I'm a big fan of B/W Heniochus, Yellow Canary Wrasse, Blue Hippo & Flame Angels.

Howard

Is one of the pair a female already?  If so, a bigger one will not work.  I have seen one case where a pair accepted another.  For quite some time the pair beat up on it, then finally decided to accept it.  The males each keep to their part of the tank, and the female spends time with both.  I really think this is the exception to the norm.  IMO, sounds like it's time for you to set up another tank :D

From my reading on clownfish, mixing two species in a 75 gallon in most cases would not work due to spacing.  Adding a third Maroon in most cases would not work.  Maroons are also classified as the most agressive of the clownfish family.  If the current pair has been in the tank for years, as I think you stated, most likely you have a female.  Adding a new large Maroon, quite possibly a female, would be a recipe for disaster.  If they have been in this state for a long time(years), they might be especially intolerant to any new Maroons or other clowns.    

As Mike noted above, there are sometimes exceptions to the "rules".  For the most part, clownfish do not co-exist well with other clown species.  More than two of the same species can be problematic too.  This is due to the strongest need in the animal kingdom.... to procreate.  

Aside from all of this, you seem to have a full tank as is.  How is the Mandarin?  I would worry about mixing a sixline and mandarin in a 75 gallon tank... which is what I have.  I also have a very fat and happy Mandarin.  In fact I'd like to have a pair of Mandarin's, but I am gun shy to try it.

i would have to say either get a 6 foot tank (your still pushing it ) or if its clowns you really like jsut do like i do when i cant fit anymore fish and set up another tank which is why im up to 4

Bill33

The tangs are fine I use to have 3 in there and they fine, just too crowed I took one out sailfin, yellow and purple.  I will try to put one other different type of clown not another marron.

I think general consensus remains that placing a single clown in with this pair regardless of the species you select will likely result in the death of that clown.

Once a pair forms they typically become hostile to all other clownfish in the tank even if the other clown was part of a larger group initially.  If you insist on adding a clown, the only species that might have a decent chance of not being harassed to death is a skunk clown. I've had odd experience with skunk clowns in tanks with maroons or percs. I don't know if it is because of the different body type but these guys frequently seem to exist in tanks absent the pairing/grouping arrangements that I have come to expect with clownfishes.

Best advice remains though - don't try to add a single or pair of clownfish to that system.  You've got a good amount of fish in there already - introducing another fish that is likely to result in conflict which could then have other negative effects.

Steve

Thank you everyone for your advices, I think I will have to setup another tank for new pair of clown. Skunk clown that interesting to know.

Thank again.