Will these zoanthids recover?

VicSkimmr

My AoG Next Gens bleached after I first got them, and now their skirts are very long and stringy. What are the chances that they will recover and is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Pics:

When I first got them:

DSCN4246.jpg

Bleached

DSCN4383.jpg

This was a few weeks ago, they've actually gotten worse since then:

DSCN4611.jpg

give them time and they should be ok. they are pretty hardy corals.

I actually think they look ok in the 3rd pic.... definitly bleached a little in the 2nd pic.

Dave

Oh they're definitely getting their color back, but the skirts are really annoying me. They've about doubled in polyp count since I got them, but even the new polyps have the same problem. I know its not the flow thats causing it, considering they came from 143Gadgets tank, and these are the only zoanthids to display this.

ACTUALLY FLOW WILL AND GENERALLY CAUSES THIS. DIRECT FLOW MADE SOME OF MY ZOOS HAVE LONGER SKIRTS.

Haha, alright I guess I'll use them as guinea pigs then :) Its just strange that they're the only ones suffering from it. I'll move them to a lower flow spot and report back in a couple of weeks.

I see you have T5s over your tank. This could be the cause of the bleaching unless you were careful about acclimating the zoas to the lighting, especially if you are running a GE 6500k bulb in the mix. I place all new corals in a shaded area for several days to two weeks and gradually move them to their final resting spot. They should recover over time though.

I see you have T5s over your tank. This could be the cause of the bleaching unless you were careful about acclimating the zoas to the lighting, especially if you are running a GE 6500k bulb in the mix. I place all new corals in a shaded area for several days to two weeks and gradually move them to their final resting spot. They should recover over time though.

Oh thats definitely why they bleached. They were the first corals that I put in the tank, I figured they'd be ok on the sandbed. All the other zoanthdis have pretty much recovered completely, these are the only ones showing long-term effects. I've since changed my bulbs around a bit and I've been a lot more careful with acclimation.

Hey I have T5s and got a PPE polyp off of Gadgets. Like a moron, I did not properly acclimatize it--I now have it in a shaded area in hopes that it will open. It has not yet.

T5s, especially new ones, will punch down to the sandbed unless the tank is very deep. Acclimation to your lighting conditions is always a god idea even if you get he corals from another T5 user.