Captive corals in your system

michaelg

I'm trying to get some numbers here to use for a grant we are putting together with RPI (Drew Weiner's organization that spoke to us last fall).  I want to know the number of corals (different species) currently in your tank that came either directly or indirectly through the society and contacts you have made as a result.  Local friends also OK to list.  I'm trying to get a ballpark # of frags that have been exchanged.  If you list ones that have died, please indicate that # seperately.  You can also list the number of different corals from your system that you have exchanged.  I know for some of you this may take some work, but these numbers are important for us to demonstrate the effectiveness that society involvement can produce in captive propagation and distribution.  Please have a notepad in hand when you are feeding the tank tonight and do some quick counts.

I will start it off with what is in my tanks-

Anenome tank- 13

58 gallon- 37

10 gallon- 6

Number of species fragged:

Many Many thanks.  The details of this program will be forthcoming in the future, but one I believe WAMAS can be a springboard for a national program.

Alright, are we using the technical definition of species- I have multiple varieties of zoanthids, and Ricordeas, if you are counting all varieties.

Nano cube:17 Corals all but three were fraged from someone in the club= 14

29:12 many are duplicates of frags in either the nano or the main tank,nothing new there = 0

150:36 species 5 duplicates from above and 4 not from WAMAS= 27

Total: 41 different corals from within WAMAS, which is why I love spreading the wealth! If you want to add 3 species that I have been given and have died = 44.

I have fragged for other WAMAS members on several occasions 19 of these species. Just waiting for the rest to Grow!

Guest clownfish4
I have recieved 10 from others in WAMAS, most of which were from Lee :p and have 4 that I bought from the Reef Tank, so I am fairly sure those were aquacultured.  I have given about 3 species to other members.

Cool subject:

10g has 5 corals, all from the group

90g has 12 from WAMAS group, 3 from TRT

I've lost all 5 from Dr MAC's collection unfortunately, all SPS.

I guess the system just wasn't ready for them yet.

Lost 2 others from WAMAS group also.

Howard

This is taken from my logged records.

125G Tank

Is 7 month old;  has 63 corals (including anemone)

46 - bought at LFS or Internet

8 - frags from established colonies  

9 - exchanged or bought from other WAMAS

Free/Sold given to other WAMAS - 18

55G Tank has:  

Is 18 month old; and has 41 corals (including anemone)

24 - boutgh at LFS or Internet

6 - frags from established colonies

11 - exchenged or bought from other WAMAS

Free/Sold given to other WAMAS - 11

Sources used to buy corals:  Marine Scene, Reef Tank, Roozen, Vienna Aquarium, Dr. Mac, Saltwaterfih.com, LiveAquaria.com, Super Pet, Blane Perum Farms of the Sea.

WAMAS Members traded/free/sold:  Lee, Clownfish4, Amber, MichaelG, Childeloh, Quazi, Cabrerad, Xeon, Howard, Cowrie, creptow, dbarco, dchild, riverai, and other I did not write on my records.

Jacob

Lee poses a good question.  Are zoanthids and ricordea, for example, all one species, or do you want each color variety counted separately?

I have no idea if they could spawn and produce a viable, hybrid offspring - which, I guess, is the technical definition of being a separate or the same species...?  

I leave tomorrow, but I will do this upon my return - will take some time, as I also want to try and remember from whom I received each coral.  I know Robz will be a big contributor!  :p

Cheers

Mike

Count them as individual corals for the purposes here- as if you were to purchase them as a colony from the wild, you would buy different color morphs- same for acropora.  Aiming for rough numbers of "pieces" as opposed to diversity of species (which is another issue altogether).

Thanks everyone for taking some time to help with this....

Michael

58 Gallon (27 total):

Pieces obtained through WAMAS/ local reef keepers:  22

Obtained via WAMAS alone:  22

Pieces fragged for trade/sale/donated by me:  6

29 gallon (11 total):

Pieces obtained through WAMAS/ local reef keepers:  1

Obtained via WAMAS alone:  0

Pieces fragged for trade/sale/donated by me:  6

20 Gallon (5 total):

Pieces obtained through WAMAS/ local reef keepers:  4

Obtained via WAMAS alone:  4

Pieces fragged for trade/sale/donated by me:  4

Grand total Pieces: 43

Pieces obtained via WAMAS/local reefers: 27

total fragged:  16

David

Guest cjm033

15 different zoo frags

2 sps 1 dead

1 mushroom

1 dead hammer

1 frogspawn i fragged and sold/traded to 3 people

1 brain

and i know i gave away or traded/sold at least 10-13 candycane frags

Michael,

Sorry I did not know you wanted to know the number of peices. My records are not that detailed I have fraged many of the colonies so many times- such as the devils hand, yellow colony, cabbage and some of the zoantids that I just do not know how many times they were given out- I just have records of which corals I fragged just not how often and to whom. Also I see a fair amount of credit is being passed- So I must acknowledge that in reality my tank is a reflection of Eddi's generosity as welll as some from neat peices from Grav and Xeon, and frag swaps at meetings. I find getting aquarium grown colonies to be a no brainer for success in keeping species. Even ones I purchase have been from members tanks in the area. I do not begrudge them selling a frag or two because after seeing some of their systems the electric bill alone would justify more than what they nominally charge.

Here's a ballpark:

90 gallon: 10 species started from frags

10 gallon: 4 different species.

4 corals that melted down or disappeared on a dark night (all from the 20).

Of these, I have traded or given frags of 8.  Some, like the monti dig, have been fragged countless times.

I have fragged 2 more colonies that I bought from a LFS or online.

Guest Moa
In my nanocube I have 8 pieces (all soft corals) from both the last frag workshop, a Borneman capnella frag from Michael at the summer mtg and a (now very large) mushroom from Eddi.  Much thanks again!  All are doing well.  I have given away 3 zoanthid frags that came off of a tank raised frag from the reef tank and 3 various frags off of the pieces given to me by others.

]]]bmp

for some of you who have too much to count, just give a ball park please.

I have gotten all of my corals from either last year's frag swap or from Steve.  

In all it was at least 20 separate frags.

PS if anyone wants some lithophyton frags I could easily supply 10-20 large and small frags.  (This thing is a weed)