Aquapod aeration....

lanman

Don't ask me why now, after 4 months, this suddenly occurred to me.

How does the water in my 24-gallon Aquapod get oxygenated??

The water goes through some holes in one side of the back of the tank. There is a foam filter in there - it then just 'fills up' the back part of the tank, and a small powerhead pumps it back into the main part of the tank through a hole with a 'spreader' over it to adjust direction of water flow. That's it. It never 'falls' through an overflow or anything like that - splashing the water around and getting bubbles in it. It just goes around in circles.

???????????????

bob

Any movement of the water allows for oxygen exchange. Rapid movement or agitation of the water allows for greater oxygen exchange.

Surface ripple-and suface skim to keep the surface clear. O2 exchange take place at the surface in these tanks, which is why having a current riplling the surface is important.

Don't ask me why now, after 4 months, this suddenly occurred to me.

How does the water in my 24-gallon Aquapod get oxygenated??

The water goes through some holes in one side of the back of the tank. There is a foam filter in there - it then just 'fills up' the back part of the tank, and a small powerhead pumps it back into the main part of the tank through a hole with a 'spreader' over it to adjust direction of water flow. That's it. It never 'falls' through an overflow or anything like that - splashing the water around and getting bubbles in it. It just goes around in circles.

???????????????

bob

Same boat :(

I have a aquapod 12g that i just setup, does the same thing it doesn't skim the surface of the water. That 's suck :hammer:

I have a aquapod 12g that i just setup, does the same thing it doesn't skim the surface of the water. That 's suck :hammer:

Look at nano-reefs.org. There was a very easy and cheap mod described there. Basically you take an audiotape cover and convert it into an overflow of sorts in covering the aquapod overflow. The water is thus forced to go over the box to get into the chambers and therefore it skims the surface.

Look at nano-reefs.org. There was a very easy and cheap mod described there. Basically you take an audiotape cover and convert it into an overflow of sorts in covering the aquapod overflow. The water is thus forced to go over the box to get into the chambers and therefore it skims the surface.

Here's a picture of what it looks like

http://www.petsolutions.com/Modular+Surfac...-I-C-11-C-.aspx

I have the foam filter - and I kind of 'tilt' it so that the top of it acts like a skimmer - but it sure is slow getting any quantity of floating stuff out.

bob

Here's a picture of what it looks like

http://www.petsolutions.com/Modular+Surfac...-I-C-11-C-.aspx

Cute - but so far MAGIC sounds like the best answer. I like the idea of an overflow like that - but it's working so well now that I hate to mess around with success.

bob

Cute - but so far MAGIC sounds like the best answer.

bob

Not so . . . Re-read these posts:

Any movement of the water allows for oxygen exchange. Rapid movement or agitation of the water allows for greater oxygen exchange.

Surface ripple-and suface skim to keep the surface clear. O2 exchange take place at the surface in these tanks, which is why having a current riplling the surface is important.

Their point (I think) is that it isn't just bubbles that oxygenate your water. The more water that is exposed to air over a given period of time, the higher the rate of gas exchange between the water and the air. CO2 is released from the water and O2 is adsorbed from the air. Read carefully what Lee said -- "surface ripple and surface skim to keep the surface clear." He wasn't just talking about surface skimming as the best way to remove organics (although that's important too). If you have a thin film on top of your water, it blocks the water's exposure to air. You can avoid this by surface skimming or just making sure that the quantity and direction of your water movement are sufficient to keep the surface rippling a little -- best is a combination of the 2.

So the answer to the question you posted -- how does the water in your aquapod get oxygenated without an overflow or a skimmer or anything else to produce bubbles -- is not magic but water movement.