problems with my fish

GaryL

ok so i had a alk problem and fixed that with some help. :) i checked my pH yesterday and was about 8.0. i checked it today because i realized i left my fuge light on all day and it was 8.6 (i learned that when i leave my fuge light on with my main lights my pH jumps up during the day).

well i found my female clarkii clown breathing heavy and in a matter of an 1.5 hours she died. after she died i got a closer inspection of her. it looked like some scales were missing and her belly was swollen and you could see blood like bruising abouve her mouth and nostrals. no ick or other parasites to mention and gills looked healthy. my ammonia nitrate and nitrite are all zero. alk is good pH is 8.6 which is high i know. any thoughts on this? could one of my large emerald crabs of nabbed at her?

also i am missing a scooter blenny, and another had jumped out of the tank. im guessing from the pH swing. im racking my brain here. any other tests i need to perform?

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. Gary

Gary

Mythrax Crab attacking Clown?  I doubt that.    Blenny missing?  Perhaps he is hiding from what ever is causing your mischief’s.  Have you checked your temperature?  What you described on Clown death sound like cold water (temp changes), but again it could be a parasite or some chemical added to the system.  Have you used copper, aluminum, or other metal in or around your tank?  What are you feeding your fish?  What other fish do you have in your tank?

Jacob

temp usually stays around 80, has a heater to keep from going cold. my  lights only change it 2 degrees.

no metals to speak of. i feed brine enriched with spirulina and sometimes flake. the onlything i added was i little strontium, calcium,iodine, and checked magnesium but did not add. i have clarkii, psuedochromis, yellow tang, scooter blenny, 2 blue chromis. the clarkii are quite young only about an 1.5" long. thabks for posting jacob.

i have really large (good kind) mythrax and have herd of the larger ones attacking fish. so that was just the thought on that.