Clownfish

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
I bought a beautiful pair of Ocellaris clowns from the Reef Tank on Tuesday and one of them isn't eating.  They are both juveniles, about and inch long, are in perfect condition and are very active.  However, one of them just doesn't seem to go after anything.  I have tried Formula 1 flake, Formula 2 flake, and Spirulina.  I feed enough so that there is no competition, not to mention there are only two other fish in the tank, and one of the clowns is a complete pig and the other just doesn't seem to be interested.  Should I wait a few more days and see if he starts eating?  Should I offer other foods, and if so, what?  Any help is appreciated.

I would try some frozen mysis shrimp.  Most fish will go after this stuff, and it is a lot more nutritious than frozen brine.  If all you can find is frozen brine, the try to find "fortified" which means that the brine was gut loaded (fed) before freezing.  Tuesday was yesterday, so I would not get concerned for a few more days.  If it is swimming around and otherwise healthy looking, don't worry.

Guest clownfish4
Oops, meant Monday.  I have fed the tank 3 times, Monday, Tuesday, and today and he is the only one who seems to be lagging.  I will look for some mysis this week.

Another issue- are they tank raised- I would expect so as most are now, so they have probably graduated to flake if not frozen brine or chopped mysis as michael said. Pedal power got it right that Cyclopeese is a weaning food for most breeders from live foods, and very nutritious. But the easiest thing I would try is get some Selcon- comes in small bottle with eye dropper. Think of it as an apetite enhacement and a daily multi vitamin for fish. Put a couple drops on your flake food or even frozen foods while thawing- Nothing I have ever run across can resit a bite of it.

Lee,

FYI, TRF keeps Mysis, Brine, Formula 1 & 2 and Silversides on stock. Some the best prices that I seen as well.

Howard

It is normal for newly introduced fish to be shy for few days.  I suggest you use one method (food option) at the time starting with Cyclopeese and then moving on to mysis and flakes.  If the new fish does not eat within 5 days and is still alive then try taking it back to Grim and Mike and explain what you have done and what has transpired.

Good Luck and happy Holidays.

Jacob