Oversized Return Pump?

Guest JasonD

Guest JasonD

Trying to decide which return to get...an Eheim 1260 which will just be at or under the 600 gph of the overflow after head loss, or the 1262 throttled back with a gate valve. Only about 10-20 bucks difference, but the smaller pump should draw less power, run cooler, and be quieter. I just don't know if I should build in extra flow, or get a pump that just matches what the overflow can give it.

If I go with the smaller pump, is it still a good idea to put a gate valve in the return plumbing? How about one in the drain plumbing?

Mostly will depend upon the size drain you have unless that's why you say oversized.

With flow, more is generally excepted as better.

Never hesitate to include options for down the road ease like a valve on the return.

I would not put a gate valve on the drain.

Guest JasonD

I call the 1262 "oversized" because the flow after head loss will be 100 gph or more than the overflow can handle.

I would go with the bigger pump. For throttling purposes I would recommend a T with a return line to the sump. Put a ball valve on that return line and then use that control the ammount of water sent back to the main tank. (Yes a gate valve is technically the one you should use for throttling purposes, but with the flow dynamics we are talking about in a reef tank you can get away with the cheaper ball valve.)

This gives you 2 advantages, IMO. One is it is better for the pump since you aren't throttling the pump directly, instead you are diverting the extra water back to the sump. Two having the T allows you to use this bypass line for other purposes (say running a refugium or remote DSB or a carbon filter or whatever).

All in all, I would go with the bigger pump. It is easier to bleed off excess GPM than it is to have an undersized pump and wish you could push more. (Especially if the cost differential is negligible)

BB

Guest JasonD

Thanks, BB. I didn't like the thought of restricting the pumps flow...it can't be good for it in the long run. I like the idea of the T.

I would go with the bigger pump. For throttling purposes I would recommend a T with a return line to the sump. Put a ball valve on that return line and then use that control the ammount of water sent back to the main tank. (Yes a gate valve is technically the one you should use for throttling purposes, but with the flow dynamics we are talking about in a reef tank you can get away with the cheaper ball valve.)

This gives you 2 advantages, IMO. One is it is better for the pump since you aren't throttling the pump directly, instead you are diverting the extra water back to the sump. Two having the T allows you to use this bypass line for other purposes (say running a refugium or remote DSB or a carbon filter or whatever).

All in all, I would go with the bigger pump. It is easier to bleed off excess GPM than it is to have an undersized pump and wish you could push more. (Especially if the cost differential is negligible)

BB

This is what I have done....I have a 1262 return on my 90 gal ... drain is 1.5" durso inside a 3 sided (6"x10"x6") overflow w/ 1.5" drain. Pump can add more water then drain can handle so I have a "T" on the return diverting some of it back to the sump. I will be adding a second drain into the overflow to increase flow and right now, the return flows threw a wavysea +. Like everything else, it takes planning......

Ideas, some of the water not pumped back to the display can also be used to run a UV, feed a skimmer, etc...and replace small powerheads that drive those units.....the 1262 does heat up just a little so any pumps you can get ride of the better....I have 2 heaters (one in sump, one in display) and can keep a 79 temp without issues. I get a little vibration too so either leave the suction cups on the bottom or use something to isolate/dampen. I have mine resting on the bottom of my sump and even though I used 1" flexible hose on the return, there is still a little vibration....great pump though. If you clean it regularly (i clean mine about every 6 weeks), will perform better then expected......you know it's time to clean when temp in tank goes up :-)...and if you keep chaeto in the sump and it's not baffled properly, do not remove the sponge that comes inside the pump for it will clog ...

600 gph rating for a return is super conservative. I have a genX6000 on my return which is rated at 600 gph I am getting closer to 1000gph from my return. Works fine. Go with the bigger pump, you will not sorry.

John