Cleanup Crew?

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

Hey Everyone,

Time for a new question. :)  I would like to know what you all would recommend for a 'Clean Up' crew for my 29.  I have probably 10 cerith snails, 10 Blue legs, and 10 or so Nassarus snails.  I like the cerith, but they seem to work my rock more than my glass, it could also be that I just don't have enough snails. :)

What else should I put in my tank to help out?  Crabs, snails, shrimps?  Something else?

Thanks!

crown top snails really do a number on my glass. scarlet hermits are great too. i have 2 atrae star snails seem to be ok. i have 5 emerald crabs but not sure of there effectiveness eventhough they are very mobile. HTH

I got rid of my hermits.  Too destructive.  They knock too much stuff over.  They do a good job of algae control, though.  I use all sorts of snails, with great results.

I like diversity under the hope that they are getting something different-  there are several very small snails that multiply in the tank and come out only at night that you can get as hitchhikers from almost anyones mature system LR- I think they do a great job on the rockwork- Red leg crabs seem to do the most against algea, emeralds,Sepent stars,-- I'd stay away from the large turbos because they are serious bull dosers- nerite snails are slow but good on glass and fairly attractive to boot, the atrellas and tops are effective, ceriths in my opinion are slow as well but great as a part of the diversity, but not much on hair algea. A tiger fighting conch is also good for the diatom and red algea. And the nassarias for detrius. I even have two urchins in my 29(will not put them in the main tank for fear of bull dosing effect)- but expect I may have to move one to the fuge as they are too good at feeding and I am runnig out of algea!:D

Mike,

I always had a ton of cleaners, enjoy all the critters running around the bottom. I had a 30g last year as well. IMO: Your current 10 cerith snails, 10 Blue legs, and 10 or so Nassarus snails are good, but I would double that size with some Red Legs replacing the Blue's. Blues very agressive and WILL eat the Nassarius. I think its because they like their shells instead!

I like the Margarita Snails as well and Emerald Crabs are constantly busy and don't seem to bother anything else. I WOULD NO RECOMMMEND ANY LARGE HERMITS! I had 2 last year killed over $150. worth of fish in a week before I made sushi of them! They got up in the rocks where they slept at night and before I did anything, they cleaned house. Stick with Bluelegs, Redlegs and Red Tipped Leg crabs. So IMO:

20-25 Nassarius, 10 Blue Legs, 20 Red Tip or Redlegs, 20 Cerith, 10-20 Margarita, 2 Emeralds, 1 Serpent Starfish.

Most of these guys are and stay small, but keep busy!

Howard

Guest mikesroth

OK, looks like a do need to go nuts. :)  I figured I was going a bit low.  And yes, those blues are mean, I figured they'd be ok being so small, but they already stole one cerith snail shell.  I wonder if I can get more shells, or do they just like the fresh lived-in smell?

Anyone starting up a Reeftopia or other such large purchase soon? :D

Yeah,

I had a bunch of Nassarius that I got from MS a while ago and all of sudden I noticed everyone (Bluelegs) where wearing new Mr Nassarius snail suits! BUT of course no one was talking!

I might be interested but not until Jan. or so.

Howard

Guest mikesroth

That as similiar to my Certith, I was feeding the sun corals, and I was like WOW that is one fast moving cerith, until I saw the little feet.  He claims that it was just lying around and that the homes previous owner had left, but I have my suspicions.

Jan. is better for me also, but the NOW NOW NOW part of me, well of course wants them NOW NOW NOW :)

Yeah,

The day I put them in my 30g tank, 3 or 4 Bluelegs jumped all over one of them and was like a feeding frenzy! Needless to say, I plan on using mostly Redlegs and Redtipped Legs from here on out. I believe they are just a tad easier on the `escargo side! bsg

Howard

Hey Tom,

Eddie over at ReefTopia has worked with us on several very large orders in the past with volume discounts and free shipping. I can guarantee you a large order anytime people want to go into one. I will probably run another one in late Jan/Feb timeframe myself.

Howard