how much more to upsize?

shawns

considering upsizing from a 46bf to a 120 rr. id like to know how much more would the cost per month to keep the tank going? of course there would be more $$$ spent up front. my question is focused on the month to month fees. is it as easy as saying that the tank is 3 times as big, so the cost per month would be 3 times as much? im not sure that the math would be that easy. so, all of you that have done at least 1 upgrade please chime in and tell us how much it hurts the ole wallet.

utilities as far as electric and water. still need to consider salt and supplements, right?

Well it is really hard to say how much more electricity you are going to use. I don't know what you have and what you are going to. Your biggest power jump will be your lights. You can probably go with 6x80 T5s. Then it depends on what you want to do for flow. I would just do 2 Tunzes and that's only 36watts. I'm guessing maybe an extra $20 a month for power....maybe. I think RC has a calculator on their website.

Then salt and water is probably your next big expense. Water is pretty cheap, so that's probably in the noise. If you change the same percentage amount for water changes...then it should be a linear jump.

I have a 90g and I just ran the power numbers on my tank. I'm running around 447 watts with the lights on. That number does spike when heaters kick on though, but that shouldn't be much. That's relatively low power and I have quite a bit hooked up.

I think that's about it for month to month increase in costs.