hitchiker ID please

Matt Noyes

This is an interesting little fellow on one of the rocks I picked up today. Dont think it is an aiptasia, or a photo-synthetic organism but curious none the less

gallery_1494_155_92547.jpg

Not really, I have another picture of a second one on the same rock but no visible mouth on that one. I will try to look through the other pics I took and see

I honestly am not an expert! But I would definately, strongly, consider quarantining it until someone does positively ID it for you- just in case it IS a pest or otherwise unwanted critter. I've heard of too many stories of someone wishing they had and did not.

I can't exactly remember... But it's something like 'ball' anemone. I'll have to look around, but if I recall correctly it's a non-invasive species.

Alright, try pseudocorynactics. Maybe.

Thats what it looks like...and looks like the indo-pacific variety...looks like its getting killed tonight (or at least scrubbed off the rock)

Fascinating creature! Here's an article from Advanced Aquarist that touches on this creature: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

From the looks of yours, it is already propogating itself. See where the foot is over on the right and how the main body has shifted to the left? It's doing it's fission propogating thing. ;) The flesh left behind will generate a whole new corallimorph. Pretty darn cool. If you do decide to part with it, offer it up in the sale/trade forum - it would be great for a species only tank. To fully remove it from the rock, you'll need to use a chisel and hammer to get a good chunk of rock off with all the flesh attached. Otherwise, you'll have more pop up.

HTH!

Interesting!

I thought ot looks like a baby frogspawn. Very much like those little babies my froggy spits.

OR maybe I saw that anem too? How big is the thing?

I remember Michaelg had Eric Borneman ID these and he said it was a type of Carribbean coralimorph. That's about all I remember. You can search here for Mike's thread or over on RC.

George

The one rock that they are on (there are at least 3-4 on the rock that I have seen) has been removed from the tank and is sitting in a bucket of salt water, there is also 1 or 2 aiptasia on the rock. I dont want to see the aiptasia get to plague proportions so it will sit in the bucket for a little bit. Might offer it up for trade of a like sized piece of rock

Fascinating creature! Here's an article from Advanced Aquarist that touches on this creature: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

From the looks of yours, it is already propogating itself. See where the foot is over on the right and how the main body has shifted to the left? It's doing it's fission propogating thing. ;) The flesh left behind will generate a whole new corallimorph. Pretty darn cool. If you do decide to part with it, offer it up in the sale/trade forum - it would be great for a species only tank. To fully remove it from the rock, you'll need to use a chisel and hammer to get a good chunk of rock off with all the flesh attached. Otherwise, you'll have more pop up.

HTH!

corallimorph - no biggie. They don't like a ton of light, so will probably move to botton of rocks or just die off. Expand out at night, but sometimes lookes like a ball during the day. If you starve the rock for light, it will probably still be fine.