Goniopora sold as GSP

Guest FZ1Rider

Guest FZ1Rider

I was at a LFS store today (Is it customary to name names?) Anyway they sold me a very nice looking "GSP" for the standard soft coral price even though what I really was getting was this goniopora:

img_2286.jpg

I didn't realize the mistake until I got home and looked for some pictures of GSP online.

The coral is beautiful and knowing the risks I'd probably like to keep it (although I have not made up my mind yet).

Any advice if I do keep it or any strong feelings about taking it back.

Thanks for the help!

Peter

(edited)

I was at a LFS store today (Is it customary to name names?) Anyway they sold me a very nice looking "GSP" for the standard soft coral price even though what I really was getting was this goniopora:

img_2286.jpg

I didn't realize the mistake until I got home and looked for some pictures of GSP online.

The coral is beautiful and knowing the risks I'd probably like to keep it (although I have not made up my mind yet).

Any advice if I do keep it or any strong feelings about taking it back.

Thanks for the help!

Peter

Considering it doesnt' often live long in captivity - it is almost certainly taken from the ocean. I hate to encourage stores or producers to take from the ocean corals that are going to die. However - the damage would seem to already be done in this case; so read up, feed it well, and hope it gives you many years of pleasure. Maybe yours will be the one that acclimates well, propagates well, and survives well enough to become 'captive-grown' Goniopora.

I'm afraid if you take it back, someone that hasn't a clue will get it - not feed it properly, and it will be gone in a month.

Oh - and by the way, I'm new to the hobby, but I love star polyps; I have about 5 different varieties growing. Give me a few months, and I should be able to supply you with some nice frags. One of them (I got from Jacob?) - has fat, fluorescent green 'leaves' that almost glow in the dark (and do glow very brightly under blue light). Unfortunately, so far it is one of the slower growing GSP's. I also like encrusting gorgonians - I have a pink that seems to be growing like crazy. GSP's and encrusting gorgonians need their own rocks, or they will spread over everything :)

bob

Edited by lanman

Guest FZ1Rider

Maybe yours will be the one that acclimates well, propagates well, and survives well enough to become 'captive-grown' Goniopora.

I have to say that I was just reading another sites acclimation instructions on goriopora.org and they have a 15 step process. I did a drip acclimation and threw it in. The goriopora was out and swaying in 5 minutes, fully extended in an hour (they seem to think this is not a common occurance). Maybe it's a sign of things to come.

I'm afraid if you take it back, someone that hasn't a clue will get it - not feed it properly, and it will be gone in a month.

Very possibly, not to mention the stress of going from tank to tank

Oh - and by the way, I'm new to the hobby, but I love star polyps; I have about 5 different varieties growing. Give me a few months, and I should be able to supply you with some nice frags.

I'll definately take you up on this! Let me know.

I also like encrusting gorgonians

Yeah, they are beautiful. I thought the gorgonians were also very hard to care for? Awesome that they're doing good in your tank.

Peter

bob

The greens are extremely difficult to keep in captivity, especially that species with the larger polyps. I got one early on in my tanks, looked great for the 4 months, then jellied and died. A very typical demise pattern.

Going to take a lot of care to maintain. I would guess spot feeding things like golden pearls and a good deal of phyto. Do a lot of reasearch, to find the species (stokesii I think? - can't recall at the moment). Good luck.

Guest FZ1Rider

The greens are extremely difficult to keep in captivity, especially that species with the larger polyps. I got one early on in my tanks, looked great for the 4 months, then jellied and died. A very typical demise pattern.

Going to take a lot of care to maintain. I would guess spot feeding things like golden pearls and a good deal of phyto. Do a lot of reasearch, to find the species (stokesii I think? - can't recall at the moment). Good luck.

I agree. I already have a sun coral that I spot feed so as far as that goes it won't be a huge additional burden.

If anyone is interested goniopora.org has forums and a whole lot of info on caring for a goniopora.

Thanks for the advice

Guest FZ1Rider

Here are some additional pics. If anyone knows what the second ones problem is that's be great (though it just may be reluctant to open)

img_2359.jpg

img_2354.jpg

Thanks,

Peter