One of my fish is... eating-challenged!

lanman

I got three lyretail anthias about a week ago. One of them is really BAD at finding and eating food. She knows there is food in the water - she makes all the right moves, but almost never actually gets any food. Even when it almost bounces off her nose.

I find myself feeding them twice as much as I probably should - just to be sure she gets some food. The snails are busy...

Any suggestions?

bob

sounds like she doesnt like what your feeding. try mysis or cyclopeeze

sounds like she doesnt like what your feeding. try mysis or cyclopeeze

I have been feeding mysis late evenings for one feeding - she does seem to do better, although the other two still get a lot more of it...

The other feedings are Dainichi Marine Veggie FX and Reef FX- with Cyclopeeze baby sinking pellets.

bob

I have been feeding mysis late evenings for one feeding - she does seem to do better, although the other two still get a lot more of it...

The other feedings are Dainichi Marine Veggie FX and Reef FX- with Cyclopeeze baby sinking pellets.

bob

The fish in question is the smallest of the three - and the other two 'bully' her. She even has a little spot on her side, where I think they bumped her into one of the rocks or something. I've been taking extra care that she gets fed, but she mostly just hides down in a corner unless the other two venture to the other end of the tank. I thought anthias were supposed to like one another...

Any suggestions?

bob

generally the weakest anthias gets bullied til it stops eating. only way to prevent this issue is by breaking up line of sight in the tank ( put rocks in the way so fish on one side cant see the other) and to have alot of anthias. i had 4 and am down to two due to agression. most ppl recommend 8 in a group. 4 sometimes works.

i had the same problem. i am going to get 5 more lyretails tomorrow which will bring it to 8. one is turning into a male and there is one other female that he/she doesnt bother but the third female can only come out at feeding it seems. it will be great to see them get along as i had the same theory about putting several in the tank as opposed to a few to spread the aggression

i had the same problem. i am going to get 5 more lyretails tomorrow which will bring it to 8. one is turning into a male and there is one other female that he/she doesnt bother but the third female can only come out at feeding it seems. it will be great to see them get along as i had the same theory about putting several in the tank as opposed to a few to spread the aggression

Bleah! :( My tank isn't big enough for a whole school of them. I'm just glad they don't cost $80 apiece. One MORE reason to get a bigger tank... They really are pretty in the tank, though.

bob

In another thought - after looking at my tank - in every school there will be an underdog ( underfish, I mean) everybody pick on.

I personally tried to solve problem like this with my FW barbs, tetras etc and no matter what I did - one would be picked at all the time and another will be a ring leader.

Just MHO

In another thought - after looking at my tank - in every school there will be an underdog ( underfish, I mean) everybody pick on.

I personally tried to solve problem like this with my FW barbs, tetras etc and no matter what I did - one would be picked at all the time and another will be a ring leader.

Just MHO

The little one that gets picked on has a small wound on her side, now - she spends a lot of time letting the skunk cleaner shrimp pick at it. I reckon the others chased her into a rock or something. The other two don't even like to let her do THAT - they chase her away when they spot her getting cleaned. But she's getting quicker - they don't often bump her anymore. And I always make sure she gets plenty of shrimp; the only thing she's willing to fight for. She gets around well, and stays away from them most of the time - but it's obvious she wants to be part of the 'gang'. I'm tempted to put her in her own tank until she's bigger and stronger. But then she would be a 'newcomer' - and probably picked on even more. I guess I'll let nature take its course - with just a little help.

bob

The little one that gets picked on has a small wound on her side, now - she spends a lot of time letting the skunk cleaner shrimp pick at it. I reckon the others chased her into a rock or something. The other two don't even like to let her do THAT - they chase her away when they spot her getting cleaned. But she's getting quicker - they don't often bump her anymore. And I always make sure she gets plenty of shrimp; the only thing she's willing to fight for. She gets around well, and stays away from them most of the time - but it's obvious she wants to be part of the 'gang'. I'm tempted to put her in her own tank until she's bigger and stronger. But then she would be a 'newcomer' - and probably picked on even more. I guess I'll let nature take its course - with just a little help.

bob

Nature seems to be taking a gentler course,now. The wound is healing nicely, she seems to have made tentative friends with the 2nd smallest one, and doesn't get chased around as much (and the biggest one just can't catch her - she goes round and round her favorite rock, with a narrow opening on one side, and the bigger fish can't squeeze through as fast). I put the whole load of shrimp in pretty much at one time now, and she's become quite adept at getting her share, while the big guy is busy looking for food.

bob

Nature seems to be taking a gentler course,now. The wound is healing nicely, she seems to have made tentative friends with the 2nd smallest one, and doesn't get chased around as much (and the biggest one just can't catch her - she goes round and round her favorite rock, with a narrow opening on one side, and the bigger fish can't squeeze through as fast). I put the whole load of shrimp in pretty much at one time now, and she's become quite adept at getting her share, while the big guy is busy looking for food.

bob

Okay... so she SEEMED to be doing better. Either the cat got her, or she died, and the cleaners in the tank completely disposed of the corpus delicti before I got home from work. She's just plain... gone! Not even any bones...

I hope the other two get LONELY!

bob