250 HQI MH and Center Brace

OUsnakebyte

If I mount a single 250 watt HQI MH pendant over the center of a 65 gallon tank's plastic center brace, say, 8-10 inches above the brace, do you think it will melt it?  This would be suspended from the ceiling, not mounted in a canopy...

Cheers

Mike

Hey Mike!

I dunno.

HOWEVER, I was thinking of going HQI for the future 150g and decided not to based on heat & space.

I've got an acrylic and I guess I'm playing it save.

Phil

Hey Phil - is that split-happy BTA of yours cloning itself again...?  ;)

Miller - how far above the brace is your fixture mounted?  Is it in a canopy?

I guess I should mention that I know the brace will cast a shadow, but this tank is not for SPS (it's not even my tank - a friend's).  It's a new tank that will be mostly soft and a few LPS.  But, IME, if you stick with this hobby long enough, you will eventually want MH.  Just trying to save a few bucks up front...  Then, if the SPS bug bites, just get a second fixture and call it a day...  

Later

Mike

if it is high enough it should be fine.  most of the uv is filtered from the fixture, so it is just a heat issue.  As suggested, if he has a fan that will remove any worry (which he might need anyway).

if it is high enough it should be fine.  most of the uv is filtered from the fixture, so it is just a heat issue.  As suggested, if he has a fan that will remove any worry (which he might need anyway).

Yeah, I was just worried about heat - to tell you the truth, I totally for got about UV...

Ha!  How quick we are to assume that this a guy entering this male-dominated hobby!  I'm actually getting a female addicted!!!   ]]]bdwn

Actually, I had to replace my plastic brace since they both broke.

I used angle iron and painted it like crazy.

I believe it was UV/combined with heat that caused them to become brittle and snap.

I use 3x250w MH with 70cfm fans and the tank is a Perfecto 220h.

Chip