Allergic Reaction to Tank/Corals etc

stevil

Yesterday I had a mysterious allergic reaction, very hayfever like - sneezing, watery eyes, wheezing, that escalated as the day progressed.

I started my day with a pick-up of a new coral from BRK, acclimated it and then glued a couple of existing coral frags to some rubble. I didn't really get coral slime on me, but did have my hands in my tank on and off for about 30-60 minutes.

My day got progressivly worse - a respiratory allergic reaction (not hives or welts or rashes or any burning itch sensation) - watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, headache etc...

Has anyone else experienced this? They might not have anything to do with each other, but I can't figure out what else it was that I was exposed to that was any different than any other day...

Yesterday I had a mysterious allergic reaction, very hayfever like - sneezing, watery eyes, wheezing, that escalated as the day progressed.

I started my day with a pick-up of a new coral from BRK, acclimated it and then glued a couple of existing coral frags to some rubble. I didn't really get coral slime on me, but did have my hands in my tank on and off for about 30-60 minutes.

My day got progressivly worse - a respiratory allergic reaction (not hives or welts or rashes or any burning itch sensation) - watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, headache etc...

Has anyone else experienced this? They might not have anything to do with each other, but I can't figure out what else it was that I was exposed to that was any different than any other day...

I think that you're allergic to the Acan frag........better give it to me!! :biggrin:

On a serious note, sorry to hear it. I've never experienced anything like that.

On a medical note (not an M.D. but my degrees are in Bio, did research on prostate cancer, and worked in a hospital lab for 2+ years) you could be allergic to the proteins you're coming in contact with. It's def. in your tank if that's the only time you have those reactions (especially the hives).

I would def. let you Dr. know if you continue to have these reactions or if they get worse. Hives and sneezing is one thing but you don't want to have any breathing issues.

--Mike

I had a reaction to snails. I got a large order 200+ that had been sitting in their bags for 1.5 days. Handled them during acclimation and when putting them in tank. Went to bed that night with hives all over my trunk. Woke up with more hives, one eye swollen shut. Luckily nothing itched. Took Benadryl and slept it off. Would be careful with allergic reactions, they tend to get worse each time you have one.

Also it has been my experience (am not an M.D.) that Benadryl is a great thing to have around for reactions.

**My medical advice is worth what you paid for it*** :)

John

I've started to get sever skin allegies to my saltwater tank here at home, and even to the fresh water tank at work. I plan to discuss this with my doctor next time i see her. Soeey to hear about your experiece

Steve,

It is possible that your reaction could have been caused by the chemical compoud Cynaoacrylate which is what superglue is made of.

Wikipedia - Cyanoacrylate I only bring this up, because I used to be a big radio-control airplane hobbyist, and most of the folks in that hobby use a purer form of superglue commonly referred to as CA glue to build the planes. I spent over 10 years in the hobby, and I had several good friends leave the hobby due to suddenly become allergic to CA glue. It is a strange allergy, because for years many people can use it and never be allergic, and then one day, you react badly to it. I have a theory that the human body can only take so much exposure to CA glue before you start to develop reactions to it. It would fairly easy to figure out if this was the cause, as you could just expose yourself to some superglue without exposing yourself to the saltwater, and see if you have a similar reaction. Conversely, you can rule out the tank, bye taking a dip in it, but not exposing yourself to the glue.

Good luck,

John

Steve,

It is possible that your reaction could have been caused by the chemical compoud Cynaoacrylate which is what superglue is made of.

Wikipedia - Cyanoacrylate I only bring this up, because I used to be a big radio-control airplane hobbyist, and most of the folks in that hobby use a purer form of superglue commonly referred to as CA glue to build the planes. I spent over 10 years in the hobby, and I had several good friends leave the hobby due to suddenly become allergic to CA glue. It is a strange allergy, because for years many people can use it and never be allergic, and then one day, you react badly to it. I have a theory that the human body can only take so much exposure to CA glue before you start to develop reactions to it. It would fairly easy to figure out if this was the cause, as you could just expose yourself to some superglue without exposing yourself to the saltwater, and see if you have a similar reaction. Conversely, you can rule out the tank, bye taking a dip in it, but not exposing yourself to the glue.

Good luck,

John

I think it's a very good point.

John - thanks that's really good insight. I did get some new superglue that morning and was using it. I'm not sure what it is made of but I'll check when I get home.

What I'm most afraid of is if the allergy would be like what you describe, like a shellfish or bee allergy - the more you are exposed, the worse it gets! To my knowledge, I'm not allergic to shellfish, but when I did a quick google search on "coral + allergy" - the top hits were about people who had shellfish allergies and they were advised to stay away from coral-based calcium supplements as a result... it made me a bit paranoid.

Out of curiousity, I'm wondering if there are any people that have known shellfish allergies and if they are concerned about their tank inhabitants in any way?

even if it is a shellfish/coral allergy, you still ought to be able to continue with the hobby, you'll just have to wear those unsightly full length arm gloves, and be sure not to accidentally drink any saltwater when messing with syphoning things...

And if it came down to it, you could always train your wife on how to care for the tank.

:biggrin:

Sure enough, that is the glue that I have. I'm not in the mood to experiment on myself tonight, but I think I will be avoiding that glue for the forseeable future.

By the way, I don't have shellfish allergies, and my seasonal pollen/grass allergies have never bothered me since I've been in Virginia (4.5 years now)... I think whenever I have any kind of allergic reaction it takes me back to the years I spent in minnesota where I had terrible spring/fall allergies, with little to no relief (I've tried everything...).

I did go to the Doc after I had my reaction and they were concerned about breathing primarily, which was fine. One thing he said that stood out to me was that. In a Reef Tank there are thousands of proteins, allergens, toxins and items that could cause a reaction.

I now use rubber gloves whenever possible when I am touching corals, critters and working in my tank. I am also very careful about touching my face (i.e. mouth, nose and eyes) when working with the tank.

I now this all sounds like a mother nagging, but it is important to be safe and prudent when dealing with out tanks and the thousands possible things that may harm us or our families.

ok .. off my soapbox

Peace,

John

John - thanks that's really good insight. I did get some new superglue that morning and was using it. I'm not sure what it is made of but I'll check when I get home.

What I'm most afraid of is if the allergy would be like what you describe, like a shellfish or bee allergy - the more you are exposed, the worse it gets! To my knowledge, I'm not allergic to shellfish, but when I did a quick google search on "coral + allergy" - the top hits were about people who had shellfish allergies and they were advised to stay away from coral-based calcium supplements as a result... it made me a bit paranoid.

Out of curiousity, I'm wondering if there are any people that have known shellfish allergies and if they are concerned about their tank inhabitants in any way?

well, I got a solution to that.

you must go to the beach every three month, and submerge yourself in the water for a long period of time, holding a margarita or pina colada :cheers: will help the process... then your system and organism will get used to the salt and chemcials in the water and you will be able to work around your reef tanks :biggrin:

now seriously

sorry to hear about your bad experience. hope you can recuperate soon and overcome the allergy