Will power compacts work for SPS frag tank?

69-ls1

I was wanting to know if I can use power compacts for SPS frag tank? Would a 130 watt power compact work for a 20 gallon frag tank or should I use metal halide? I use 2 400 watt 20K over my 120 gallon tank now. The watts per gallon is about the same. Will sps grow successfully under power compacts?

Thanks.

Jody.

I have 2- 96 watt (6500k and 10,000k)PCs on my 55 gallon 'fuge where I am growing out some Monti Digi. It is working very well. The issue I see is color - it does not look too good. But the frags are growing well. I will put them in the main tank and see what they look like once they grow out more.

Edited by quazi

I had a similar conversation with Dr. Mac few years ago and this was the end result.

excerpt: "Corals require sun light in order to grow and thrive in their real natural colors. The bulbs that assimilate sun light the most ar those in the 6.5K and 10K range. Now there are few corals that will thrive under power compact but will not reach their 100% pure colors, and those corals are; Pocillopora, Millipora, Merulina, and Porites. All Acroporas will require the minimum 10K lighting, and will most likely not make it on the long run under PC lights."

hope this helps

Jacob

I found some 12K power compacts listed, would they be sufficient? If I go with the metal halide, what wattage should I go with on a 20 gallon long tank. The tank is 30"L X 12"W X 12"H. Would a 150 watt be enough?

Thanks.