hey im new here

Guest mightymouse

Guest mightymouse

well im new here im 15 years old and am buying a nano rcube today actually and i was wondering where can i buy or find some live sand to help strart my tank up im buying my tank from wallys if they have the dx cube i havent checked but do they sell live sand and if not where cna i buy or aquire some thank you in advance for your help

Adam ]]]thx

Definately get some from some members tanks.  Also, get some of the grunchy stuff at the bottom of the live rock curing tank.  The reef tank has live sand.  They also sell southdown fine grade dry sand.  With dry sand as a base, some added live sand, and some live rock, that should get you going.

What are you planning on keeping?  Lots of members are generous with giving coral frags away to help get you going.

Welcome btw, glad you found your way over here.

Michael

Michael has it right.

Also, MM, put your location in your profile.  That way we will know here you live, and we can volunteer help based on your location.  

W E L C O M E !!!

Guest mightymouse
im located in manassas va and i plan on maybe keeping a pair of clowns and there was one kinf of very small yellow goby i thought about getting 2 but i have a motnh to decide and for corals well i am not sure i just want alot of color packed into my little tank first i will go for what makes my fish happy then its all looks from there thank you guys for your kindness and willingness to help and i know this is a supoer noob question but what exactly is a frag  is that like a baby coral or a piece of a coral that will grow into a new one ? this has been confusing me

Guest mightymouse

i forgot to mention i used arag alive live sand that was packaged in water it looks great and i was told it would speed up the cycle so im going 2 add my cleanup crew (undecided what it will consist of) in about 2 weeks then add the clownfish and slowly add corals does this sound like a good plan and will corals add any bioload to the tank or can i add them as fast as i get them?

o and about the sand will i still need live sand or is this live sand it says packaged in water and contains alot of bacteria already

what about live rock?

frags are cuttings from corals that grow into their own colony.and yes you can just add corals as you get them

what lighting does it have ? that will pretty much determine what corals you can keep

Welcome aboard. Even with the new nano cubes which are pretty simple sytems you must watch bioloading and take it a bit slow- learn what you can about cycling the tank. I am in Burke Va and would be happy to give you an inoculation of live sand and have you see the older nano cube set up

Guest mightymouse

how far away is burke and i dont think i mentioend i bought this sand packaged in water that has bacteria it is live aragonite do i still need some sand? and as of now i only have 4 pounds of live rock im looking for perfect pieces instead of just buying what they have i can wait

o and they come with 48 watts of lighting with 50 50 bulbs

Yes- you definately want other sand.  That particular sand only has a small component of what makes sand "live"- bacteria.  What it is missing is the wide variety of worms, microcrustaceans,  and other critters that keep the sand bed a healthy functioning filter in and of itself.  

I would suggest waiting 3-4 months before adding the fish- consider adding the clean up crew and corals first.  This really gives a chance for the "system" to get established with the lower parts of the food chain taking hold before getting  chowed down.  That said, however, clowns are probably the laziest fish on the planet when it comes to hunting for a meal.  

When looking for a pair of clowns, first decide on the type you would like to keep- there are a viariety.  Second, find a young, captive bred pair that can be added at the same time.  The fish will likely be labeled as having been supplied from ORA. One a tiny bit larger than the other is a good choice if available.  If you go to visit Lee in Burke, which is towards DC, but really not all that far from Manassas, take a short detour to The Reef Tank.  Frequently they get in good shipments of live rock.  It's in a big ol tub that you can search through to find those perfect shaped pieces.

Please resist the temptation to put an anenome in there for the clowns to host in.  There are a variety of other frilly type corals that will make them quite happy, and will stand a much better chance of survival.  

As far as corals, please do your homework on them before adding.  Some are fairly easy to keep if the water conditions are kept.  These include a lot of soft corals, zoanthids (button polyps), and corallimorphs (mushrooms).  Many of these are quite colorful, and are easy to propagate.  Take a look around the gallery for some ideas.

adam,

Welcome to the club.  What nano cube did you get?  I have the orignal cube.  I have made many mods to mine.  I added a 96 watt powerquad to mine and gutted out the filter section and changed the pump to a rio 600 and put 14 pounds of live rock rubble in the filter section and have 12 pounds of live rock in the tank.  I bought my live rock from MS in reston there was all kind of life on it. You should also go on to

www.nano-reef.com it is a very good site.  

Brian

Guest mightymouse
i have the dx model and have decided to go for soft corals for the clowns not an anemone i dont wanna take a chance risking it and i will def try to get to someone to get some ls soon and as soon as i make a trip back up to wallys i will get some lr rubble for my filter chamber and take out the ceramic rings and bioballs and activated carbon. and the kind of clowns i want is percula clows and i am not a member of nano reef.com but i do go on reefcentral thats how i was refered here thank you guys for all of your support and help

Welcome to the group

I im the webmaster for the group and I think I can help you

I am in Dale City and have a lot of very live sand. If you can get a ride I can give you some to jumpstart your system.

Call me to set up a time

703 926 4147

Guest mightymouse
ok thanx ill def give u a call someitme soon and set somethign up thank you guys again for all your help

I just want to say this is awesome to read. Everyone is willing to help out in anyway the can.  

Adam, I also have a 12 gallon Nano and have great success once it has cycled. Be very careful not to over load it with fish. With a small tank like these the water parameters can change VERY fast. After mine cycled and settled down it has been awesome. I only have one tomato clown and a RBTA. I do have to keep up with my water changes and top offs. I have several other corals in there as well as a cleanup crew. When you get further along i have a ton of rubble u can replace your bio balls with when you are ready.  Good luck and always ask questions!!!

Bob

Guest mightymouse

what is an rbta? and yeah i def plan on replacing the bioballs from what i have read theya re worthless i will be putting live rock rubble in there and thank you giuys for all your help

I am the kind of person who likes to plan ahead so do you guys think maybe you can help me with a list of corals for a beginner and i know i want clownfish percula or oscelaris (sp) but what kind of corals or plants and stuff like that would be good for a beginner and i def want a coral that the clowns will play in since i cant get an anemone