Do star polyps 'take a break'?

lanman

My green star polyp, one of my favorites, hasn't pushed out his polyps for the last day or two (beyond a few little green tips). Only thing I've noticed different is that there is a hermit crab that seems to want to play king of the hill on the polyp-covered rock. I knock him off - he climbs back up. I put him on the other side of the tank - he comes back.

Could that be a cause? Or do star polyps sometimes just 'take a break'??

bob

Yes, mine do that from time to time. The crab will cause the polyps to retract, but it's normal for them to tank stay closed for no reason whatsoever too. It's always a good idea to use a turkey baster to blow debris off the amt from time to time as well. Also, keep them off your main rock structure or you will soon have a GSP dominated tank.

have you checked your water parameters lately?... that is an indication that maybe, and only maybe something in the water quality is not right... just my experience, cause I have three different types of GSP, Pachycavularias, and they sometime tell me that ALK is low... or PH is too high :wink:

(edited)

have you checked your water parameters lately?... that is an indication that maybe, and only maybe something in the water quality is not right... just my experience, cause I have three different types of GSP, Pachycavularias, and they sometime tell me that ALK is low... or PH is too high :wink:

Just checked - pH is ~8.1, alk is ~3.4. (someone must make an easier to read test kit... pH = grey shading to lavender;Alk = pretty carribean blue).

Will check the other stuff later.

It is later:

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0.05

Nitrate = 5

Spec. Gravity a little high (1.026); topped with fresh, now 1.0255.

bob

Edited by lanman

Yes, mine do that from time to time. The crab will cause the polyps to retract, but it's normal for them to tank stay closed for no reason whatsoever too. It's always a good idea to use a turkey baster to blow debris off the amt from time to time as well. Also, keep them off your main rock structure or you will soon have a GSP dominated tank.

As you predicted - after a few days, they are opening again. Not quite all the way - but definitely open.

Thanks,

bob