Scales Social- Big Thumbs up!!!

TROLL

It was rather interesting for me! Seeing so many people and it's amazing to know how many people can fit into a LFS like Scales. It's a great turn-out and I've met a few members; Valeria, Scott711, 143Gadget, and a few more. It is a quite challenging for me to communicate with the members, paper and pen method is crude but effective at some point. I was glad Dhoch, Rsaavedra, Chideloh, and Anthony was there to introduce me to members and made me feel like part of the crowd.

Hopefully, we'll have more events like this, very benefical to both organization- trade frags, socialize, learning experience, and many more.

Anyway...

Unfortunately, my night didn't went good afterward... :cry:

No, I didn't get busted for DUI. :lol: My truck have decided it's time for it to make a journey to Auto Valhalla. About 10 mins from Scales, it died. I was left standing outside trying to flag someone down and attendant at Shell station was difficult to communicate (he tried to sell me a jumper cable when I asked for jump)... I called Raf as he's the only person in the area that I have phone number. The unluck streak struck again, he was unable to find me, apparently I was so deep in heart of rural rockville.

Finally, after long negotiating with gas station clerk and he came to sense to give me a jump. Truck miraclously came to alive and back to normal. Drove about 2 miles down and my truck start having a death rattle. I had to pull over at someone's house as my truck stalled there, just right on time I turned into the curb.

I gave my wife a page and see if she could call a towing truck for me... She didn't know what to do so she called her sister who in turn contacted the father-in-law. He's only a few minutes away but he's usually intoxicated after work. Talking with him is out of question and have him driving is dangerous.

I end up standing outside for 2 hours and to make it worse, my truck wasn't warm at all after sitting in cold for a while... I was battling the decision of staying inside or outside and remain mobile to prevent from freezing. A moment later, around midnight, I see flashing light at intersection. It's father-in-law driving so slow, I had to get him to move. I wasn't comfortable with him driving out especially when he just had a few drinks. Lucky, it was a few drinks- not enough to qualify for DUI.

I got in, gathered all corals and fishes including a few things I got from social. I drove instead for safety sake. Finally, I got in warm house and had a hot dinner. My hands still shiver badly even few hours inside the house.

I finally got to home at 3am, all livestocks were doing well- thank god I had hand heat packs that I could place inside cooler to keep them all warm. Yes, I sacrficed my hand heats just to keep them all alive. It wasn't the first time I have ever been in freezing weather so I was used to it but very painful to be oustide for 2 hours in 20 degrees without a coat. I forgot to bring a coat, I'll make that a note to keep a coat in truck next time.

Raf, you tried your best, bro. Appreciate it a lot and hope I didn't delay your trip back home. I owe you a beer for trying :cheers:

Thanks all for great frags and hope to meet you all again at next social or meeting :) Maybe Intro to Reef II only if my truck changed its mind and decide to stay alive.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate turn of event, Troy !!! :(

Glad to hear you got home safely, though. :)

Edited by chideloh

Guest Ruh Roh

lol chip.

I am sory I missed it. I was planning on being there but my wife pinched her saiatic nerve and that caused muscle spasms in her back. She doesn't like to sit still much so I had to stay home to keep her on the couch or in bed. Hope to catch you all next time !

Wow Troy, you did have an eventful evening. I am glad you made it home safe and that your corals/fish were okay.

I am so sorry I missed that Social. I really wanted to go but after being gone from home for 12 days I needed to stay and love on my dogs some and I had a pump die in my 24 gal AquaPod and that was a mess I had to clean up. I didn't loose any of the corals but it was ugly.

I will make the next one.

Sandy

Heheh, I won't mention how mad my wife is about me going to Scales... She thinks my reef hobby is useless and waste of money. To have truck trouble on way home from Scales just gave her more reason to reef-bash me...

My night just never ends...... :why:

Guest seantadez

oh man i'm so sorry about that, but now you can sale this bad trip to the new teather movie... next time you can call me i will be happy to help you..

Edited by seantadez

If all else fails, Troll.... contact me and if I am planning to go to the event you can ride with me.... I live in Hagerstown so I could pick you up on the way.......

Wow Troy, that really sux. I can say that I've been in your shoes before, stranded miles from home in freezing weather with no coat and a van with a busted water pump. It took three hours for the tow truck to show up. Now I take a jacket with me if there is even the slightest chance that it will be uncomfortably cold and I have emergency blankets in every vehicle.

BTW, my wife is not "fond" of the hobby either. I justify it by reminding her that I could be bar hopping, chasing women, doing drugs or, worse yet--playing golf! She tolerates it as long as she never sees the price tags on the more expensive purchases (thanks again Johnny!).

Hehehe, that is a good point there, Ybenormal! I often conceal the fact I bought the frags, I always said I traded them :)

Update on my truck- the alternator and battery was bad... I just replaced them last fall so I followed up with store I got them from- both are still under warranty. I spent good 4 hours today replacing threm both plus many trips between store and home.

I only ended up getting madder! Brand new alternator I had replaced today is bad, too... 4 hours out in cold to replace it and it was bad. 2 bad alternators in row within 4 months, arrrrrrgh!

My luck isn't with me this week :why:

Seantadez- I'll give you a call if I'm ever in trouble :) That really help me knowing I have more friends in town that would come and assist me :)

Mystical Lady- Awesome idea there! I'll let you know if I need a ride. I'm right off I-270/I-70 on Ballenger Creek exit.

Smarsh97- I got a 24g Aquapod, too. It doesn't have a pump and I'm trying to find the suitable pump for it. Most LFS and reefers advise aganist using Rio and I have a lot maxi-jet laying around but would like to save them for wave-making. What pump were you running?

Troy,

Was nice to meet you briefly as it was this weekend!

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!