Code name ORCA

dandy7200

Well, I just got the final notification that I will be a Beta tester for the new Sequence/Reelflo Dart needlewheel pump aka ORCA. :cheers: I fully intend to document the performance and skimmer build here as well as RC. This is going to be a FUN project!!!! :biggrin: I'll probably just be posting research and pictures on this thread for a while until my final design is decided. If you guys want to roll out ideas and contribute some of the research/picture links I am game. And here I was just about to build a AP1003 clone........puny skimmer :lol:

(edited)

Lets put this into prespective shall we?.....

gallery_868_102_368500.jpg

Jenny, lol I highly doubt it. I am required to give detailed reporting/results though.

Edited by dandy7200

the all in one skimmer and child containment system guarenteed to remove crap or hold it in one defined area depending on use.

disclaimer please do not try to over oxygenate your children. using this device as a skimmer at the same time as holding a child may result in unforseen consequences to your reef tank.

Give the kid a squeegee and you'll be able to cut way back on the number of times you have to pull the system apart for cleaning.

Lets put this into prespective shall we?.....

gallery_868_102_368500.jpg

Jenny, lol I highly doubt it. I am required to give detailed reporting/results though.

Holy :eek:.... I'm sorry what is that thing?

Holy :eek:.... I'm sorry what is that thing?

Jason, I know you don't have skimmer on your tank but surely you have seen one?

Jager, mogurnda no jokes on this thread...got it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nadir, this is really going to be a fun project.

BTW guys, that photo is just the reaction chamber. It is one of the more recent Dart NW skimmers Spazz (for those that know) has made. I believe it is a 18" x 42" chamber or roughly 57 gallons. Can we say contact time?

Thats not a fricken skimmer!?! Thats a monstar!

OH and i ended up eating my own words, I tossed a berlin classic hand on skimmer on the front of my tank and in 72 hrs had 16 oz of skimmate

dandy its not my fault, if you post a picture like that im required top say something funny about it, to let that slide is against the dark side reefer code of conduct and etiquette :P

seriously congrats on the beta testing spot, im sure you are the man for the job. those spazz skimmers are something alright, can we get some operating pics? please dont mail me any skimrate though im for once glad to be a few hundred miles south of yah :P

Edited by Jager

haha and here i thought Ybes BM200 was a big skimmer

sean he said 57 gallons total

dandy i dare you to plumb it into your bowfront LOL

you know you wanna overskim

You guys are killing me :lol: :lol:

I have a few other example pictures of some Dart skimmers that I will post here. I am actually thinking along the lines of a BM/BK style fatty......24" diameter x 24" tall reaction chamber. I would like this to run without the air pump if I can get away with it. Reelflo is saying that they think 20" head is about perfect to run venturi only, I have not seen their venturi yet although they said it will ship next Thursday or so. The problem I see with that is 24" pipe is a little on the spendy side :lol: :wink:

bah, its all in the name of science (and being the first guy with a skimmer big enough to swim in :) )

can you say poop removal and a jacuzzi all in one. it skims it foams it relaxes muscles, and with the special venturi attachment it makes Julian Fries :rollface:

least you can try to tell you wife the first part if she catches you coming home with that 24" tubing

:wink:

Edited by Jager

I think I am going to go with a square skimmer for the most part. Right now I am thinking the reaction chamber will be a 24" cube. On top of that there will be a thermoformed riser maybe 12" that will lead to a 6" tube neck. Collection of skimmate will obviously be remote so the "cup" will probably just be 8" tube and act as the lid ring as well. Controlling the turbulance in the chamber is going to be the main focus point of my research at the moment but, have some ideas and some examples to work with.

Square? Excellent. I'd be interested to see/hear if the square has any effect (+/-) on turbulence or overall performance. Should be an intertesting ride!

For thread followers, here is a spiffy little video of what 6000 gph on a pulse timer looks like in a 30 cube :lol:

linky

Now this is a smaller cube, not going to be on a pulse timer and Orca should only produce about 1/3 flow at max. Just thought it was pretty amazing even if not totally related.

howser, should skim a 1000 gallon no problem. It's for my system in the not so distant future which will be approx 700 gallons total. I am working on life support first so when the tank is installed it is plug and play.