Suicidal Fish!

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4

Well, a couple weeks ago I found my bartletts anthias on the ground and today I found my sixline wrasse.  After getting over the devestating loss, I went to home depot and picked up some acrylic sheets.  Now I have the entire top of my tank covered.  It is keeping the fish in but I am now worried about other problems.

Possible Problems:

1. Metal Halides, 2 175w and 1 250w, will they melt the sheets?

2. Evaporation is restricted.  No more evaporative cooling and less air contact.  How bad is this?

Thanks for the input.

I would suspect that the MHs will eventually cloud if not melt the acrylic.

Second, you do need evaporative cooling.

Maybe you could use some kind of netting?  Others may have ideas.  What kind of hood do you have?  An open top tank is often a jumper's dream.

What stresses are going on?  Were you seeing fish scoot around to try to get away from each other?  What hiding places did they have?  I've heard wrasses can be jumpers...

s

Guest clownfish4
It is completely open right now, haven't built my canopy yet.  I have 5 small fish in a 125g tank with 110 lbs of rock.  There are lots of hiding places and I never see them nip at eachother.  Any ideas???

Guest mikesroth
I was thinking of putting egg crate on mine.  Does it give you any kinda of weird shadows over the tank?  I have 1 175w mh pendant over it right now.

I've heard of guys using plastic window screen. You've got to get it at a local hardware store as home depot only sells it in long rolls. I picked up some to put on the back of my canopy. The sides and front are wood, and the top is basically 1x4 to allow the top to breath. HTH.

Mike,

Egg crate does not create weird shadows.

I have used it over MH to cut down the light levels when i change lamps to

a different Kelvin.

remove the acrylic rightaway.

-krish

I think once you have the hood your jumping should stop- all you would need is something like egg crate across the back if you were worried. I believe the Acrylic will color or melt with time- You can run a fan on your sump to get cooling which is what I do- My tank used to bump up against 82.5 degrees- I put a small clip on fan on my sump- and now run between 78.4 and 80.0.