MH ballast life expectancy

Sugar Magnolia

I have an Ice Cap E-ballast that has been having problems for months now. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it takes minutes, and other times (like again today GRRR) it won't fire at all. The ballast was purchased brand new in Feb '03. I put a fresh bulb in to be sure it's not the bulb. Any ideas?

My Coralvue 250w mh electronic ballasts did that from the start and still does that every now and then. Some months, it would start up right away everyday. Then every now and then, it would either take a minutes (up to 1/2hr) to start up or sometimes they don't start at all.

I have 2 ballasts and it appears to be more of a problem with one of them.

When I contacted Coralvue (almost 1yr ago), they said that maybe the power cord that came on the ballasts were too long.

So I cut, shortened and spliced them... to no avail.

Then I told them I had it on a surge protector. They told me they needed to be on separate lines because it could be drawing too much power during start up.

I tried it to no avail. I currently have mine come on 1 hr apart, but don't think that really makes a difference. Maybe the circuit my lights are on are fully tapped??? But I don't know anything about electricity... :(

I dont mind if they dont come on right away... kind adds to the variability of nature :) But what annoys me is when I come home from work, many hours after the lights are suppose to be on, only to find out that they didnt start up!!!

I have an Ice Cap E-ballast that has been having problems for months now. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it takes minutes, and other times (like again today GRRR) it won't fire at all. The ballast was purchased brand new in Feb '03. I put a fresh bulb in to be sure it's not the bulb. Any ideas?

Contact Icecap and send it back to them for repair. Icecap probably has the best customer service in the industry. Andy at Icecap is also very active in the Icecap forum on Reefcentral, you could post a question to him over there and ask him for ideas/suggestions.

had the same problem twice. after two or three years of 24/7 use they start blinking (on/off) like you guys described. I went and bught a capacitor and replaced the one on the ballast (mine are magnetic not electronic), and walla''''' they work... for another 2 or three years. The capacitors can be found at local electric stores for $17 to $25, depending on where you go, but make sure your ballasts uses esternal capacitors from the transformer and whrigt the brand and part number so the store can help you replace.

good luck

(edited)

I posted in the Ice Cap forum over at RC and they said it sounded like the ballast was either going bad or it was a grounding problem. They suggested sending it to them so they could take a look at it but that would leave me with no light over my 30 cube for an extended period of time. The tank is full of corals, so that probably isn't such a good idea. Stupid thing lit right up this morning when I turned it on. Sooooo annoying!

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

I posted in the Ice Cap forum over at RC and they said it sounded like the ballast was either going bad or it was a grounding problem. They suggested sending it to them so they could take a look at it but that would leave me with no light over my 30 cube for an extended period of time. The tank is full of corals, so that probably isn't such a good idea. Stupid thing lit right up this morning when I turned it on. Sooooo annoying!

Can you get a cheap magnetic ballast to hold you over for a few days while it is repaired? Im not an expert but I think that lowes/home depot carry cheap magnetic ballasts that might work as an emergency backup. Not the prettiest or most effiecient solution but it might work for a temporary situation.

(edited)

Hmm, will it run an HQI pendant?

Edit: WOW!

I just got a message over in the Ice Cap forum that they are shipping me a ballast to use while mine gets shipped to them for troubleshooting. Excellent customer service!!

Edited by Sugar Magnolia