New to all this

trble81

I think we are going to try to find a canister filter for our first tank. I have been checking on the for sale part of the site and haven't seen any yet. Does anyone have one they are looking to sell? :bluefish:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are going to try to find a canister filter for our first tank. I have been checking on the for sale part of the site and haven't seen any yet. Does anyone have one they are looking to sell? :bluefish:

I would place a Want to buy post. I think Jamal had one for sale.

RUN! And run fast! This hobby is more addicting than crack and more expensive.

We have a saying in this hobby, tanks multiply faster than fish.

First, find a tank that you like and research before buying.

Plan out what you want to keep in the tank and research.

Generally, tank and fish are your lowest costs.

Plan out where you want to keep your aquarium.

Plan out how you want to set up your equipment including plumping, sump or no sump.

Next, research.

Once you think you have a grip on things, purchase your tank and let the fun begin.

Go slow and never rush it. Savor ever last minute.

Welcome and best wishes. ...and another great source of information is Reef Central.

Oh and the most important thing to remember

Sorry, missed the 35 gal tank.

For a 35 gal tank, I would go without a skimmer and sump.

Cheapest and best way it to go with Aqua Clear filter 70 or 110 and just use the sponge and carbon. Do 10% water change weekly. Maybe use two powerheads (Maxijet 900) for good water flow.

Never replace the sponge. Always keep it wet and if you need to clean it out, just squeeze it and replace it. You need all the

Edited by Norboo

Avoid using bio-balls and go with substantial high quality live rock. Skip the base rock. It will probably cause algae outbreaks on its way to becomming live rock. Go straight for a good grade of live rock as filtration. do all this in conjunction with a good protein skimmer.

fab

If you're going to use a canister, keep in mind that they get dirty very quickly and need to be emptied and fully cleaned at least monthly. (I do mine every two weeks) I'm always shocked at all the junk that ends up in my canister. Nasty....all that accumulated junk can lead to an elevatred nitrate level, so do keep it clean. :biggrin: That being said, I've used two filters - Fluval 204 and a Rena Filstar. Skip the Fluval, the Rena is a much better product. And here's a tip for you...if you happen to have a Petsmart near you, go to the Petsmart web page and look up the product you want to buy, print off the page and bring it to the store. They honor their online price. I got my Rena canister for about $50 less than it's sold for in the store.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Lol I already told em that, but I've been telling too many customers lately, the management isn't happy about having to price match :lol2: .

Here's something else you might not know, PetsMart will return to their store a product bought at any other pet retail store with or with out packaging or reciept, hows that for a nutso return poloicy?

Hey trble81 feel free to look around and post questions comments on other threads on wamas.

OK, Mike and I are planning on going out this weekend to try and buy some things to get this started. We are planning on getting the filter, live rock/sand, and a protein skimmer (obviously some salt and a chem kit too). How do we put it all together? Can we just put everything in at once and let it start to balance off or do we have to add one thing at a time, etc.? :bluefish:

Thanks,

Heather

If I get time since you're so close to me I can give you a hand. I'm sure some one else might be able to assist you as well. Fist though calculate and tally up every thing you plan to spend, or rather what it's going to cost you. And see if you can't find a complete setup for the same price. :gho: Also theres a CMAS meeting comming up you should see threads around the boards about it. I would really really reccomend going. You can also venture over on to their site if you feel like it but it's not nearly as good as ours :drink: :biggrin: .

OK, Mike and I are planning on going out this weekend to try and buy some things to get this started. We are planning on getting the filter, live rock/sand, and a protein skimmer (obviously some salt and a chem kit too). How do we put it all together? Can we just put everything in at once and let it start to balance off or do we have to add one thing at a time, etc.? :bluefish:

Thanks,

Heather

Before anything else, invest in a RO/DI unit. nuff said.

Well, we made a trip to Scales in Silver Spring today and were very happy with our visit. AndrewB helped us out with picking out everything that we needed to get things started. We picked up a filter, heater, thermometer, salt, chem kit and live sand. After we let things get settled for a few days we will be heading back to pick up a protein skimmer (it was ordered for us) on Tuesday and possibly grab some live rock at that time as well. We definately recommend checking it out if you live in the Baltimore area (it was closest nice store to us). :bluefish:

They have a good store... probably going to be if not allready best one north of DC....

Andrews a really good guy as well.

Dave

Are there any other LFS north of DC that are worth checking out? Everything seems to be south of DC or in VA (which I know is south of DC as well). It would just be nice to know of some places farther north in case we have an emergency and can't drive 40 mins. Thanks! :bluefish:

Hi!

Welcome to WAMAS. Sorry its so late :)

I haven't been to any of the MD stores except Scales but you can check out Aquarium One, Roozens, and Congressional Aquariums. Here is the link to all the local stores link

Like some people have mentioned we are having a meeting at the National Aquarium on the 20th. Should be a good time and then you'll get to meet a bunch of people you end up talking to online.

Thanks for the welcome Jenny! We had looked into Roozens and are hoping to find some time one weekend to get down there and check it out. We just hoped there was someplace good that is close to us too. :bluefish:

Thanks for the welcome Jenny! We had looked into Roozens and are hoping to find some time one weekend to get down there and check it out. We just hoped there was someplace good that is close to us too. :bluefish:

Make sure you QT all your fish especially Hippo Tang.

If you're near Baltimore then you should check out a verrrrry nice store Exotic Aquatics

They got killer price on lights, stocked with corals up to wahazooo! A lot of fish selection, too. I'm going to stop there this month and buy T-5 bulbs.

Here's an equipment question for everybody. Does anyone have any good tips on how to make your submersible heater stay where you want it to? I mean ours has a suction cup on it but...well...it kind of sucks. It's a nice heater but we check the tank after a few hours and notice that heater is away from the wall we put it on and have to "re-stick it" where we want it. I just didn't know if there were any good tricks to making a suction cup stick better under water. Thanks. :bluefish:

Here's an equipment question for everybody. Does anyone have any good tips on how to make your submersible heater stay where you want it to? I mean ours has a suction cup on it but...well...it kind of sucks. It's a nice heater but we check the tank after a few hours and notice that heater is away from the wall we put it on and have to "re-stick it" where we want it. I just didn't know if there were any good tricks to making a suction cup stick better under water. Thanks. :bluefish:

I just let it hang behind rock or eggcrate- well protected, of course. Suction cup are wonderful invention but one of worse for aquarium!

Some folk around here cut up thin segment of PVC and slide heater thru it, glue the segment to mount clip or magnets. You can use rubber rings instead or whatever can be used safely with heaters.

Many of us use heaters in sump, we have piece designed to hold heater that can be attached to sump.

Edited by TROLL

Make sure you QT all your fish especially Hippo Tang.

I didn't think a hippo tang would fit in a 35 gal hex....?

For the heater issue, I have my banded to the intake of my cannister filter

I didn't think a hippo tang would fit in a 35 gal hex....?

I didn't think we were able to have a hippo tang either. If we can, I would be very excited!

For the heater issue, I have my banded to the intake of my cannister filter

Thanks for the idea. I think that will work for us as far as where everything is positioned (at least until we get the skimmer in and running). We'll see. :bluefish: